When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strut Fork repair.......

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
I've been looking for a tall tube Elgin 28" truss fork without any luck. So I decided to redo the one some "%&$#@&!" cut off.
First find suitable barstock. Then using back of old greeting card, trace and cut a pattern from another fork or draw to liking.
Then trace pattern onto barstock, and cut with hacksaw. Grind and or file to correct shape. Drill strut opening.
Then wire brush to remove burrs and old paint if needed.
Use a vice style clamp to hold in place and tack braze. Remove clamp and finish brazing top then bottom. wire brush between sides.
File down almost flush. I you brazed properly you will end up with a strong weld. Be sure to use caution and proper eye protection!
Next...making struts!
Thanks for look'n, bri.

DSC00982.JPG

DSC00983.JPG

DSC00984.JPG

DSC00985.JPG

DSC00986.JPG

DSC00989.JPG

...oh just to let you know, I just used one of those tiny propane and oxygen sets. (took a whole bottle of the bigger $10 canisters of oxygen tho-) the 00 tip takes a while to heat the fork head set!! next time I'd preheat the fork with a propane torch first to save oxygen.

Nice tutorial Bri

Thanks for the pictures. I did something similar to my old forks, but I put a doubler over the broken brace and brazed together. I did the same on both sides, so it doesn't look so uneven, but I like your repair better. The good thing about brazing is you can melt it off and start over if you decide to (which I'm seriously thinking about now).

Thanks for the pictures. I did something similar to my old forks, but I put a doubler over the broken brace and brazed together. I did the same on both sides, so it doesn't look so uneven, but I like your repair better. The good thing about brazing is you can melt it off and start over if you decide to (which I'm seriously thinking about now).

Thanks Tommy! I figured I'd grab the camera since I was gonna do this.... It's a pain stopping and taking pics tho....lol!

Back