When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventure Of The Sports Tourer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So here we go.....

I need 3 things to complete this project (of the freewheel.) Freewheel tool, chain whip, and a new sprocket.

Step 1. Order freewheel tool. Now I can remove it whenever I need to (which is hopefully not often) and don't have to pay a shop to do it. People around here don't do things for free.

Step 2. Made chain whip, with directions from RJ the bike guy on youtube.

I got the freewheel off today, and tried the drywall screws in wood method- split the wood right in half. Mounted the freewheel with said drywall screws to the workbench and with a bit of effort the sprocket came off. A trip to the bike shop in Farmington (MI)- an ex Schwinn dealer- resulted in looking through about 2 dozen potential candidates for another sprocket but none would fit. One that came close had the correct outer diameter but the incorrect internal diameter (to thread on the freewheel.)

So now I'm in need of the smallest sprocket so I can get it riding again. Need to make sure I'm getting the right one so I don't get it to my house and find out it won't thread on. 14 teeth internal diam. is 1.655 inches. Anyone selling one?

Who knows...maybe I should just make it an 8 speed........

So now I'm in need of the smallest sprocket so I can get it riding again. Need to make sure I'm getting the right one so I don't get it to my house and find out it won't thread on. 14 teeth internal diam. is 1.655 inches. Anyone selling one?

The small 14T sprocket from any 1972 or later Schwinn Approved Model J freewheel will be an exact match: http://www.ebay.tv/sch/i.html?_nkw=schwinn+model+j+freewheel

This one is relatively cheap and looks to be like new: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHWINN-APPROVED-MODEL-J-FIVE-SPEED-FREEWHEEL-14-28-NICE-/301951087947

I went with the relatively cheap good looking one. The teeth look way better on the "donor" than the one I have. I was hoping someone might have the cog in a parts box they'd sell me--I put some feelers out and got no replies.

Do you know how many of the cogs are threaded on, without me actually going and taking mine apart...? Trying to learn as much as I can about these freewheels.

Thanks

Do you know how many of the cogs are threaded on, without me actually going and taking mine apart...?

I added that info to my earlier post:
BTW if you want to remove all of the cogs, the 2nd one removes the same as the first (unscrew it counter-clockwise), then the remaining inner 3 cogs and spacers merely slide off (those cogs are splined).

Bought a donor freewheel and it arrived today.

exploded%20freewheel_zpsoe6fjzmu.jpg

There is a pic of the S/T freewheel with the donor. Cleaned up the S/T freewheel.

Donor freewheel.

donor%20freewheel_zps02blt2xi.jpg

Disassembly processes.

freewheel%20holder_zpsk5qpzzjb.jpg

S/T freewheel with different cogs. I replaced the smallest two- I was going to try to replace the smallest 3 but the third cog was slightly different.

new%20sprockets_zpsk8hyaohm.jpg

I was concerned when i took apart the donor freewheel when I saw wear on the smallest cog I thought I was in trouble all over again. No turning back....

ST%20freewheel%20rebuilt_zpsgk7persx.jpg

Back on the bike

ST%20freewheel%20reinstalled_zpsohou4xgn.jpg

Took it on a 9 mile ride. Bike just hummed in all gears. No skipping. (Hooray!!) I've got a functional 10 speed now.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this project. It's been stressful, frustrating and somewhat fun.

Excellent job, glad it all worked out! You should feel good that you were able to preserve and properly restore the unique Sports Tourer freewheel, one of the coolest features of the bike IMHO. A lot of people would have taken the easy way out and replace it with a new one, de-valueing the bike in the process. Repairing is easy, restoring is harder.

The freewheel and the long cage derailleur (GT 300) makes the look of the rear of the bike IMO. I wanted to preserve that look. Thanks

Disassembling things like this with loose bearings is why I scavenge old cookie and brownie pans. A couple years ago I was lucky to find 4 large bakers pans with a 1/2" lip that have saved me several times from having to search for loose bearings.

Back