When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That is a September serial couldn't that be late enough in the year that it could have been dressed and sold as a '78 in early '78?

Yes, that was built late in 77

But this one has an early 77 serial number and head badge code!

77hd2.jpg

And once again the info you posted is incorrect.
Inside the 1978 Schwinn Bicycle Specifications Catalog part numbers for the Typhoon / Hollywood & Heavy-Duti are incorrectly documented.
Schwinn must have not proof read the information due to a parts change.
As stated :
Note: Prices & Specifications subject to change without notice.

So ... the "New" Chainguard changed ...
1977 Spitfire
1978 Typhoon / Hollywood & Heavy-Duti

Everybody seems to forget this is not a exact science, Schwinn didn't really care if people were picking their sh*t apart 50 yrs later, they used what they had and tried different things, many problems with their literature over the years, I think this is the only Klunker lit, ck the lightweight neck and says front & rear caliper brakes but has drum, reinforced frame?
IMG_9021.jpeg

Last edited:
Everybody seems to forget this is not a exact science, Schwinn didn't really care if people were picking their sh*t apart 50 yrs later, they used what they had and tried different things, many problems with their literature over the years, I think this is the only Klunker lit, ck the lightweight neck and says front & rear caliper brakes but has drum, reinforced frame?
View attachment 1980200

Nice!
Stem? Where is the shift lever? It has the cable going to the stem area but no lever. 😂 Sure glad they got all the reflectors in place, and it even has valve stems! Flat rear fender bridge too?

View attachment 1980200

In the late 70's the MTB scene was evolving at breakneck speed, and things were changing all the time. I would assume that Schwinn might have used the drop neck stem on the prototype KLUNKER because they may have intended to use a longer friction shift lever, with a standard derailleur just like they eventually used on the 1984 Cruiser 5? They may have also intended to use the caliper brakes, but at the time some of the other independent builders were using drum brakes, so they eventually used the ATOM drum on the rear! When I built my own custom Champion MTB for myself, I use F&R drum brakes because they had better stopping power than the calipers!

thumbnail_IMG_4381.jpg

Champion Bike.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, that bicycle belongs to a local friend of mine.

It looks like your friend sold his bike. I wonder how long it will take for us to see it posted somewhere as an authentic CC...................LOL

Also, I notice the other posters here never posted their serial numbers or head badges from the bikes they claim are authentic!

Last edited:
Here is one with interesting fenders. It's an '80 cruiser 5. Im assuming these are dealer installed fenders? There is a tag inside the rear. The part number is 52415 and "fender balloon".
20240219_095650.jpg

20240219_095732.jpg

20240219_095751.jpg

Back