When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Schwinn S-6 Rims

-

Oilit

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I picked up this (1947?) Continental a while back and after I got it I noticed some details that cooled my initial enthusiasm - there are stress cracks in the paint behind the steering head that probably came from a front-end impact, and while mostly original some of the parts have obviously been replaced. My first impression was that the rims looked newer than the bike, they're chrome while most of the early Continentals posted here have stainless rims. Even the post-war New Worlds often have stainless rims. On the other hand, I have a 1953 Traveler that has rims with a diamond knurl, while by 1955 the rims used a straight knurl which they carried to the end of the line. But the stainless rims don't have any knurling at all, and the 1945/46 Continental that @Jim sciano found has chrome rims with a straight knurl, but with very light and crisp tool marks, that look a lot like what's on this Continental. So maybe I'm just not seeing the whole picture.
The S-2 rims were introduced in 1948, but it looks like the S-6 was earlier, although catalogs from that period are scarce. And I've never seen any Schwinn literature mention the stainless rims, although they were never shy about advertising stainless fenders. And there are at least a few stainless S-2 rims, although they're even less common than the stainless S-6. All of which leaves me with more questions than answers.
One more observation - from pictures the pre-war rims have the spoke holes offset to either side of the centerline, while S-6 rims always have the spoke holes nearly on center, with just a slight offset. I'm guessing the pre-war rims were bought in from an outside supplier, but again, I don't really know.
So if you have an early post-war (or late pre-war) lightweight with chrome rims that may be original and you have some good close ups, post them up. With enough examples, maybe this will start to make sense.
My Continental (with a few black-out parts and an undated Sturmey hub:

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

IMG_3989.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3988.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_3981.JPG

Last edited:
-----

sad to see that collision damage - these frames are so doggone strong that it must have taken a pretty good wallop to do that 😱

the early S-6 you picture appears to be built to a higher standard than the later chrome ones

have built and also trued wheels with the later S-6 and their welds and trueness is less than ideal; a bit frustrating when one is trying to do a good job but must accept a rather imperfect result...

will look forward to following along as you work with this machine; thank you for sharing it with the forum 😉

congratulations on a picture taking session without crashing by the explosives experts 😼

-----

The frame is still straight enough it will make a good rider, but not as nice as I first thought. Luckily, I didn't pay an outrageous price, I could sell it for parts and get my money back.
And you're right, Schwinn really made an effort on these early lightweights and it shows. The later bikes are still solid machines, but the detail work isn't the same.
As for the bombers, it was pretty hot and humid taking these pictures, I think they were all stretched out in the shade. They're smart that way.

Before calling it front end damage, check the top tube and down tube to see if they are all consistent with front end damage. I see the ripples in the paint there, but ripples like that can have a couple of causes and can be superficial rather than conclusive evidence of frame damage. But as you say, it could be frame damage that was slight as well. Only a full check of the frame could tell.

The other place to look for cracks on a Continental frame is where the seat stays join the seat tube. A substantial minority of the Continentals I've seen had small stress cracks in the braze joint where the seat stay joins the seat tube. It may or may not be an issue, depending on the size of the crack, and what kind of rider and riding is going on.

The rims on my pair of post-war New Worlds one 1946 and one 1947 were box-pattern, no-label rims similar to pre-war. The chrome was badly worn on all of them. They are of a tubular construction. They take the 597mm tires without issue. There is no knurling on them. The one set I have left is in a storage box at the moment in my basement. I went with a set of Stainless S6 Continental wheels on my 1947 New World. There is little comparison to be done - the Stainless S6 wheelsets are all around better wheels than standard.

I've seen a couple of the early S-2 rims that were smooth on the outside but had the knurling on the inside. Did the smooth tubular S-6's have markings on the inside?

Here's a stainless S-6 that does have some knurling. Owner says it's a 1946 but has the later graphics and components as the 47 models.

1629010269055.png

Last edited:
Before calling it front end damage, check the top tube and down tube to see if they are all consistent with front end damage. I see the ripples in the paint there, but ripples like that can have a couple of causes and can be superficial rather than conclusive evidence of frame damage. But as you say, it could be frame damage that was slight as well. Only a full check of the frame could tell.

The other place to look for cracks on a Continental frame is where the seat stays join the seat tube. A substantial minority of the Continentals I've seen had small stress cracks in the braze joint where the seat stay joins the seat tube. It may or may not be an issue, depending on the size of the crack, and what kind of rider and riding is going on.

The rims on my pair of post-war New Worlds one 1946 and one 1947 were box-pattern, no-label rims similar to pre-war. The chrome was badly worn on all of them. They are of a tubular construction. They take the 597mm tires without issue. There is no knurling on them. The one set I have left is in a storage box at the moment in my basement. I went with a set of Stainless S6 Continental wheels on my 1947 New World. There is little comparison to be done - the Stainless S6 wheelsets are all around better wheels than standard.
I've never seen a pair of the earlier rims up close. If you get a chance to get some pictures, I would love to see them. Do you think the rims on my Continental are original or replacements?

Back