When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1/2" Pitch Chains

-

saladshooter

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Howdy

My prewar Rollfast came with a chain with multiple janky sections patched together. So I decided I needed to replace my chain before it left me brakeless heading down a steep hill towards a bunch of Catholic nuns leaving church going back to the convent, each carrying newborn Syrian refugee orphans.

In trying to keep things period correct, I purchased a NOS Smith brand chain. This chain had several stiff links when I received it. I worked the stiff links out and rode probably 25 miles before it broke riding on a mostly flat cul de sac on a mother's day ride with my mother in law.

So, my question is: do you purists insist on period correct everything? And if not, what brand modern chain would you recommend?

Thanks
Chad

This thread would be worthless without pics.
Rollfast_Damaged_Wall_Resized (1).jpg

In a word....yes. When I first serviced my Monark HTB, the chain was no bueno. Luckily a local bud donated a beautiful NOS 1/2" Diamond chain, and she's ridden smooth as silk ever since. BTW, I love that Rollfast. Been looking for a 39-40 in a tall frame myself. Maybe someday one will drop in my lap. Till then, I'll have to admire this lovely orange one:cool:

I'm a fan of garage door opener chain. Super long and they're giving it away. Great for tall unicycles and tandems!

I prefer the vintage chains but if its a rider I don't see a problem. If you are going to show at Ann Arbor or sell as 100% original then it needs to have the correct chain. BTW, by default, anyone that replies is a "purist"? Personally I don't put myself in that category although I can be a stickler for the details sometimes! V/r Shawn

KMC also makes a "rustbuster" chain that looks like it's been sandblasted.

It's a flat grey colour.

From the website:
Our RB (Rust Buster) treatment is a coating of zinc and chrome, protecting your chain against rust, in fact it makes your chain resist rust 500 times longer than a regular chain. Our RB coating meets with the highest international standards on rust resistance.

Furthermore, all models, except the Z51RB, have received a special thermal Long Life treatment to ensure maximum chain life.

Perfect chain for my stealth bomber custom, that I sandblasted every part and matte clear coated.

20160306_145933.jpg

Chains are maintenance items, like tires. If I'm going to ride a bike a lot, I take off the original chain and put it aside, and put on any old modern chain. When it comes time to sell it, then the old chain can go back on. I've changed out drive trains from inch pitch to half inch pitch for the same reason. I keep everything and mark it so it can be resurrected to original when necessary.

Back