When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Schwinn Paramount

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rbu

'Lil Knee Scuffer
This bike came from a patient of mine about 15 years ago. His dad was a racer and official in the 30s and 40s. He knew I was a racer and I was definitely interested. I cleaned out his garage, a french 3 speed derailure racing bike (wooden rimmed) which I lent to a friend of mine who owned a bike shop, for display. I also found this chrome schwinn racing bike, I had a good feeling that this was more valuable. Also had wood rims. A few other wheels and miscelaneous parts. Also was a pair of early rollers and a roller clock set up ( for indoor roller racing). The Paramount has sat in pieces for the last 15 years in pieces. For some reason, now is the time that I have chosen to attack this project. Here are some photos of the frame. The serial number is A263.
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg
IMG_0140.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg

That is bitchen.

Is the frame going to be re-plated?

It might be nice in nickel.......?

Paramount

Cool bike. The frame was built by Wastyn for schwinn. The head tube lug work is different then some I have seen but has the top of the seat stays rounded. The top of the fork crown should have a chamfer too. The only odd thing is the brackets off the rear stays?? Is the fork or frame drilled for brakes? Shoul be equiped with Schwinn Scripted Crankset, adjustable stem, Large flange hubs, torrington 4 stars.... The frame may clean up well enough to keep the finish. I just got down cleaning and "distressed" paramount and it turned out great with an old look freshened up. I have some NOS decals or they can be found at waterford.

I have had the frame and most parts chromed and polished. Havent put it together since I am awaiting some Weigle frame preserver. The cranks are all schwinn scripted with Paramount printed on the sides of the crank arm. The tabs on the fork and seat stays are probably for fenders and would make this a touring paramount. The stem is adjustable and was not the major taylor type like I had thought. The pedals I am not sure of. I will try to send some new pics. later

the fork has a hole for a front brake. The rear brake bridge has a hole vertically. I have a brake that bolts down into that hole. I have a new proper brooks saddle that I am going to use. Here are some pics after chroming.
IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg
IMG_0191.jpg
IMG_0194.jpg
IMG_0195.jpg
IMG_0196.jpg

The extra handlebar stem and bar was one of those extras. It looks interesting in that the bar is connected to the stem without a bolt. There are no markings. It has fenestrations where the stem goes around the bar. Any ideas?

Looks great. Except for the handlebar/stem shot that's out of focus. It's hard to see what you are referencing to.

Can't wait to see it put together. Thanks for sharing the build.

I've got to get one of these early racers some day.

Sorry, Here are the shots of the stem that I was curious about. Also the brake bridge and brake. The stem is in the schwinn catalog as 2517B and the fork looks proper as a paramount touring fork #4339.
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0202.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg
IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg
IMG_0198.jpg
IMG_0200.jpg

Back in the day...

In 1982 I had very similar Paramount the two brackets are for fender braces the forks that I had, had brackets too they were about 2-3 inches from the bottom someone told me that the 6 day racers had fenders...? well I sold it to a co-worker, :( I new I would regret it... Nice Bike! Build it! Ride IT! :cool:

Oh great!

Ya know I never wanted one of these things until now. That is sweet. I'd like to show up to the Saturday river ride on that.

Back