When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Firestone Flying Ace

-
Eric is that chain wheel original to the bike? The only reason I'm asking is I have a prewar Lighting Flyer badged Huffman with the same one. I like the creme color wheels with that dark red paint.

Sean

Hey Sean,
From the advertisement I've seen for these bikes it should have a dogleg crank with the standard Huffman 26T inch pitch chainring. Since this was converted to the Bendix lever 2 speed, I believe the chainring was swapped to the 1/2" pitch.

(And just a reminder, my camera makes things more red than they really are. The remaining paint is brown from sun fade. The chainguard is a lighter shade of brown)

This modern wheelset will help with the overall look when I mount the fender light! Plus it's a 3 speed so the cable can fill the hole in the guard that was cut for the 2 speed.

Hey Sean,
From the advertisement I've seen for these bikes it should have a dogleg crank with the standard Huffman 26T inch pitch chainring. Since this was converted to the Bendix lever 2 speed, I believe the chainring was swapped to the 1/2" pitch.

(And just a reminder, my camera makes things more red than they really are. The remaining paint is brown from sun fade. The chainguard is a lighter shade of brown)

This modern wheelset will help with the overall look when I mount the fender light! Plus it's a 3 speed so the cable can fill the hole in the guard that was cut for the 2 speed.
Brown and creme is a nice color combo as well. It has plenty of character I would say and I agree with you about Blu and the other folks being a good group of people. I'll try my best to not interrupt your project, but I really like that tank incorporated into the frame. Plus I'm from the south, lol!

Brown and creme is a nice color combo as well. It has plenty of character I would say and I agree with you about Blu and the other folks being a good group of people. I'll try my best to not interrupt your project, but I really like that tank incorporated into the frame. Plus I'm from the south, lol!

Thanks again for your kind comments. I appreciate that someone is enjoying my suffering to get an old bike back on the road! :p Feel free to interrupt any time you feel the need! And the South is not a bad place. Most of my time in the Air Force was spent in Florida and North Carolina. And I love BBQ!!

Thanks again for your kind comments. I appreciate that someone is enjoying my suffering to get an old bike back on the road! :p Feel free to interrupt any time you feel the need! And the South is not a bad place. Most of my time in the Air Force was spent in Florida and North Carolina. And I love BBQ!!
I messaged you Eric and no Mike I'm not trying to pick up his bike, lol!

Sean

Spent the afternoon stripping silver paint from the chrome parts.
IMG_20181215_135530297.jpg

IMG_20181215_152712604.jpg

Did a dry brush on the stripes to match the original paint scheme.
IMG_20181215_192025436.jpg

Time for assembly. :) Hoping tomorrow's Denver Old Bikes Club monthly ride will be it's maiden voyage. We will see..

Thanks for the compliments guys! It was a long day. Had to clean all the bearings as well. A little massaging to make ok'd and new work together nicely. I guess the OBC ride in a few hours will be the maiden/shakedown ride. No pics of the complete bike yet. A couple more small adjustment are needed but fine for now. Will also try a few more bars and seats before I'm done but it's ready to ride! :)

Sneak peak...
IMG_20181122_113847065.jpg

More pics during the 77th Old Bikes Club ride tomor.... wait, later today!

Back