When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Ladies Hercules

-
Check out this article by Sheldon Brown, under the section "Dating your Raleigh 3-speed Bicycle." This was the first reference to dating the pre-war hubs I found.
I’ve been referring to Sheldon Brown since I’ve gotten in to bikes, and he’s still the go-to for research, even beyond the grave! RIP Sheldon!

Nice find in great condition.
There were 3 similarly framed models in the '39 catalogues.
The image from the catalogue you posted on the previous page is not quite what you have, the frame is noticeably different at the top head lug, although your example does have that models chainguard.
This of course could be an export market model which could explain the discrepancies. Hercules were the largest bicycle exporters of the time from the UK, and the catalogue image here is from the domestic market.
Here are the two models with your frame lugs.....
Screenshot_20220216-192209_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-192332_Chrome.jpg

... with the previously posted image at the bottom for comparison.
That top headlug design was used also by Rudge and Raleigh and probably several others from the 1900's up to definitely the late 50's.

Your example also looks like it has had the fork replaced by a 'Raleigh' fork at some point in its history, those distinctive dimples on the fork crown are a bit of a giveway.
That might explain why the front mudguard looks a little misaligned in its curvature in relation to the wheel.
That being said, it won't detract from the riding experience, and it's still a great looking bicycle.

(Images from V-CC library).

Nice find in great condition.
There were 3 similarly framed models in the '39 catalogues.
The image from the catalogue you posted on the previous page is not quite what you have, the frame is noticeably different at the top head lug, although your example does have that models chainguard.
This of course could be an export market model which could explain the discrepancies. Hercules were the largest bicycle exporters of the time from the UK, and the catalogue image here is from the domestic market.
Here are the two models with your frame lugs.....
View attachment 1571489

View attachment 1571490

... with the previously posted image at the bottom for comparison.
That top headlug design was used also by Rudge and Raleigh and probably several others from the 1900's up to definitely the late 50's.

Your example also looks like it has had the fork replaced by a 'Raleigh' fork at some point in its history, those distinctive dimples on the fork crown are a bit of a giveway.
That might explain why the front mudguard looks a little misaligned in its curvature in relation to the wheel.
That being said, it won't detract from the riding experience, and it's still a great looking bicycle.

(Images from V-CC library).
Thanks for the great information and catalogue images, Darren. That fork is definately a later Raleigh, but I'll run it for now-hard to come by prewar Hercules parts this side of the pond, so will enjoy it as is. Does the chainguard rather than chaincase indicate it was an export rather than domestic model?

Thanks for the great information and catalogue images, Darren. That fork is definately a later Raleigh, but I'll run it for now-hard to come by prewar Hercules parts this side of the pond, so will enjoy it as is. Does the chainguard rather than chaincase indicate it was an export rather than domestic model?
You're welcome.
Not sure about whether the chainguard was standard fitment on the export models but it would make sense. Someone will have to come up with an export catalogue I guess.
Your example is definitely sporting a period correct Hercules guard though.
It may explain why so many British bikes of the era that surface on The Cabe seemingly have 'incorrect' chainguards compared to UK catalogues.

"That fork is definately a later Raleigh, but I'll run it for now-hard to come by prewar Hercules parts this side of the pond, so will enjoy it as is."

Actually, that might likely be the original fork. It is a budget priced Phillips fork and was probably used by Hercules on some export bikes I guess.
Raleigh used them also and it became a style associated with Raleigh after the wheel products integration of the 50's in England left Raleigh on top and Phillips as an included company under the Raleigh name.
That fork is in the 35' catalog as the #203 R-pattern and in the 39' catalog the same but with an added chrome cup and cap model #204 also.

Raleigh used that design from very early on.
It became "a style associated with Raleigh" from a lot earlier than the 1950's, it's associated with them because they designed it. Which is why Phillips referred to it as the "type R".
Those items in the 'Phillips' catalogues are basically budget spare parts for people doing home repairs after accidents or upgrading pedals, handlebars etc.etc.
The sort of part that you could have purchased from your "non-official 'Raleigh' dealer" LBS.

T. I. acquired 'Phillips' around 1920, 'Hercules' in 1946, and finally 'Raleigh' in 1960.
I can't imagine that 'Raleigh' would have been too happy with Hercules using their iconic design in 1939, even if it was only for export models.

Here it is on a mates circa 1900 Raleigh 'Road Racer' that I admired and photographed in August 2021.....
20210822_100327.jpg

20210822_100404.jpg

Last edited:
What is the threading on the steerer tube and headset? I would think a later Raleigh would be 26tpi proprietary and the aftermarket Phillips "R Type" would be 24tpi.

I've been pouring over all the VCC stuff from a to z.
I think my next bike might be an old English one also. Bike companies, parts companies... there are so many cross references between companies and suppliers it is quite a jumble. Phillips was in parts early on also.
Patent laws aren't forever its true. The fork is there in the catalogs to see. Its in the lower cost line-up. Those Export Chainguards in different configurations also. That fork is on other non-Raleigh bikes that are pre-consolidation also, and many after.
Going through the Armstrong histories and partnerships, they were compared to Hercules from many angles. Frame builders building bikes with sourced parts. Hercules was doing it on a massive export scale and Armstrong a couple dozen at a time. I read Hercules sold way more bikes outside the country than in, by far. Something about the politics of sales partnerships gave Hercules a big advantage outside the country.
All these parts companies were right there in B-ham with buyers coming from around the block. No shipping or delivery charges on received parts is a cheaper bike.
I looked up the cost of mine in todays money and it would be around 350 pounds today. So about $500 U.S. Theres no way to get a bike of this quality today for $500. Their competitors were a pound higher. It must have been tooth and nail to sell a bike in England back then, there were so many makes available. All made local if that's what you wanted and all would take terms.
The good old days.

What is the threading on the steerer tube and headset? I would think a later Raleigh would be 26tpi proprietary and the aftermarket Phillips "R Type" would be 24tpi.
Screenshot_20220224-201122_Chrome.jpg

Phillips states 26 tpi, which would make sense if you're aiming it as a replacement for a 'Raleigh' original, otherwise the buyer would need to purchase a new headset as well.

Interesting. So then if you put one on a Hercules, you'd have to replace the headset there because would the Hercules then not match at 24tpi? I've owned several old Hercules bikes over the years and they all had the stock, solid shoulder type Hercules fork.

Back