When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 schwinn new world

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The bike is indeed beautiful and a class apart which is evident from its labels. Clearly it is an original version of the Schwinn quality cross

Any info on my new world I just picked up?

I found this in a garage for 100 bucks was it worth it? Also I can't find much information on the race model compared to the touring models. The serial number is d2940.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 210
There does not seem to be much information on the race version of the New World. Your bike is a later version of the New World but still pre-ear as the early version had rear facing dropouts. It seems that the racer version had no fenders and one could buy the Superior/Paramount parts to lighten the bicycle. Also the bottom bracket had to be for the three piece crank size to allow for the lighter cranks. I think your bike has a Williams crank which was an option on pre war bikes. I am curious to the rims and hubs on this bike.
The pre war New Worlds had no eyelets on the dropouts for the fenders and the fenders attached to the axle.
For $100.00 that is a good buy. More pics woul be nice to see.

The hubs say schwinn dural on them and rims are steel and are 27 1/4 inch. No black out parts either. It has a "persons" saddle on it as well. Owner said his grandfather bought it at a six day race. Does anyone remake the decal?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Nice bike! With the locking fork it probably did not spend a lot of time at the velodrome but was a trainer out in the real world. The Schwinn Dural hubs are a nice extra. I have a 1947 New World set up the same way- 3pc cranks, fixie dural hubs, drop bars, aluminum stem and a Persons "racer" saddle. The schtick I got from the previous owner was that it was a rental bike at a velodrome. With 90 inch gears it is not fun to ride in the city, but Schwinn used their own threading for sprockets so I haven't been able to find a larger one. I did find a smaller chainring, but it misses the clearance dimple on the chainstay. I need to get cracking on it because I do not need another wall hanger.
New Worlds are nice bikes, and one of the few bikes built well and built for grown ups in the US at the time. Even a Raleigh would leave them in the dust, but they are sturdy and comfortable.

Last edited:
Hey thanks. I'm currently trying to do a small restoration on it with new paint and re laced wheels. The owner told me he thought it was from the thirties and had had it in the family since he was born. I think it's 1940 but idk. Does anyone re produce the old decal and is it a decal or a print? I found a catalog ad of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 176
The Schwinn Quality decals are easy to get, the Schwinn Seamless and hat in the ring decals very occasionally show up as NOS, but I have not seen a "The New World" script decal show up in a couple of years of occasionally looking.

Well I guess I will buy some decal paper and make it myself. Any idea what it might be worth? Not a big deal but wondering what difference in price than what I paid for it.

Nice New World racer. The hubs are much less common than the usual steel Schwinn ones, or the coaster brake ones. These frames are surprisingly light and well-made. I have a 1947 New World tourist that I really enjoy riding.

Back