When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1945? BFG dx.

-

Big Moe

I live for the CABE
Well, now that I have it home, starting a new project. Thankfully the wheelset is saveable, just going to have them rebuilt with new spokes and nipples. And pretty much just cleaning the rest of it up. Suggestions on removing rust and oxidation but saving the paint would be appreciated. Thinking 0000 steel wool and Dr. Pepper for the paint and chrome. Going to remove the rack from the bike. Not sure what to use to recover the seat. It has some kind of fabric covering. It's going to stay patina. Have a few little dents and bends in the fenders and chain guard to straighten out. Going to do my thing of cleaning the chain on a board using a wire wheel on a drill and wd40. Need to get a pair of bfg grips for it. I think that's about it for now. Will update as progress is made.

Well, now that I have it home, starting a new project. Thankfully the wheelset is saveable, just going to have them rebuilt with new spokes and nipples. And pretty much just cleaning the rest of it up. Suggestions on removing rust and oxidation but saving the paint would be appreciated. Thinking 0000 steel wool and Dr. Pepper for the paint and chrome. Going to remove the rack from the bike. Not sure what to use to recover the seat. It has some kind of fabric covering. It's going to stay patina. Have a few little dents and bends in the fenders and chain guard to straighten out. Going to do my thing of cleaning the chain on a board using a wire wheel on a drill and wd40. Need to get a pair of bfg grips for it. I think that's about it for now. Will update as progress is made.
The easiest way I have found to clean a chain is to use two nails to secure it to my workbench and then using a wire wheel.

There are all kinds of other acidic fluids that are better and won’t leave a sticky mess. I have to laugh at using soda pop. 😂

At the beginning of the project, I wanted to make it rideable. So that's what I did. I just didn't take a picture of it. I will have pictures for Sundays show and tell. I'll be taking it all the way down to bare frame this Sunday or Monday. Gotta save up a little money to have the wheelset rebuilt. After I clean the rims and hubs. While they get new spokes and stuff, I'll be doing the frameset and the rest of the parts. Clean, grease, and reassemble. Any suggestions on who to send the seat too. The cover is sewn together onto the seat pan. Oh yeah, decided to use pointy black grips because I already have them.

20221013_174300.jpg

There are all kinds of other acidic fluids that are better and won’t leave a sticky mess. I have to laugh at using soda pop. 😂
I have used Dr pepper in the past. It's acidic but not too acidic. Then I just wash it off. Might even try some polish on it afterwards.

Back