When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Schwinn Whizzer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Lots of Whizzer history on the internet. Most of the Whizzer engines sold were just kits so you'll see them on just about anything. Schwinn did make a few models that were set up for the Whizzer kits and @Tim the Skid recently picked one up that had never been motorized. Schwinn did not install the motors or sell them complete with a motor.

Check out the Motorized Bicycles section.

Your engine is one of the last "H" engines. Probably made late 47 to early 48. It was the first "successful" Whizzer engine and was sold as a kit.
It has an accessory 6 volt generator that powered the lights.

Skeezer

Your engine is one of the last "H" engines. Probably made late 47 to early 48. It was the first "successful" Whizzer engine and was sold as a kit.
It has an accessory 6 volt generator that powered the lights.

Skeezer
Is that a good thing? I did a job for an older lady and I asked if she would pay me with this. and she agreed!! I'm completely unsure of the value of something like this. From what I could find the frame is not a Whizzer but the engine seems to be original. minus the frame what could a complete engine assembly go for? moving forward what would be the best course of action be? I really like the bike and want to do it right. should I be on the hunt for an original frame? and if I find one to pair the engine too would it be worth it in terms of value?

Is that a good thing? I did a job for an older lady and I asked if she would pay me with this. and she agreed!! I'm completely unsure of the value of something like this. From what I could find the frame is not a Whizzer but the engine seems to be original. minus the frame what could a complete engine assembly go for? moving forward what would be the best course of action be? I really like the bike and want to do it right. should I be on the hunt for an original frame? and if I find one to pair the engine too would it be worth it in terms of value?
This how the Whizzers of the era were. They were sold as kits to convert most "balloon tire bikes" into motorbikes. They didn't even have the word motorbike in their name but "engines". So, yours is "correct". You can find good, rebuilt engines for $1000 to $1400. If it were mine, I would clean it, put it together, and ride it but I to am worried about the excessive frame modification.

Skeezer

This how the Whizzers of the era were. They were sold as kits to convert most "balloon tire bikes" into motorbikes. They didn't even have the word motorbike in their name but "engines". So, yours is "correct". You can find good, rebuilt engines for $1000 to $1400. If it were mine, I would clean it, put it together, and ride it but I to am worried about the excessive frame modification.

Skeezer
I believe the is in working order. It has good compression and looks to have everything it needs to run. I want to keep it, I want it to work. but I too am worried about the thinness in the frame. Didn't Whizzer produce frames or had "modified" frames that worked with their engines? If there are I'm sure there rare and probably don't come up often. should I maybe consider a different frame? If so what would good alternatives be?

Maybe one of the bike guys could tell you if that can be fixed. I suspect a good fabricator could. The bike mfgrs that made frames for Whizzering did have modified frames and fenders for the belt. There are factory made frames that have the "dimpling" and there are crude mods like yours and I've even heard of a Schwinn "dimpling" tool but have not seen one. Frames can be hard to find. I found this NOS Paecmaker (Whizzer built bike) frame on craigslist and it's in the design stage.

Skeezer

znos3.jpg

zpacemakerseat.jpg

Maybe one of the bike guys could tell you if that can be fixed. I suspect a good fabricator could. The bike mfgrs that made frames for Whizzering did have modified frames and fenders for the belt. There are factory made frames that have the "dimpling" and there are crude mods like yours and I've even heard of a Schwinn "dimpling" tool but have not seen one. Frames can be hard to find. I found this NOS Paecmaker (Whizzer built bike) frame on craigslist and it's in the design stage.

Skeezer

View attachment 1433321

View attachment 1433322
Thank you so much for your help! you have giving me a lot of info on my bike! I will take the photos of my bike to some of the other forums and see if anyone has some advice on the frame! thanks again for your advice! i really appreciate it!!!!

Thank you so much for your help! you have giving me a lot of info on my bike! I will take the photos of my bike to some of the other forums and see if anyone has some advice on the frame! thanks again for your advice! i really appreciate it!!!!

Maybe get some good pictures of all dimpling for a frame assessment by the Whizzer experts. With the serial number dating the frame to 1952 or 1953 and that paint scheme on a Cantilever frame, I'd have to say it was a 1953 D-12 model with an optional Red trim. The 1952 the D-12 was a straight bar frame. Fenders don't look like Schwinn's or maybe it's just the braces that have been replaced.

How long ago was the last time that was running?

Maybe get some good pictures of all dimpling for a frame assessment by the Whizzer experts. With the serial number dating the frame to 1952 or 1953 and that paint scheme on a Cantilever frame, I'd have to say it was a 1953 D-12 model with an optional Red trim. The 1952 the D-12 was a straight bar frame. Fenders don't look like Schwinn's or maybe it's just the braces that have been replaced.

How long ago was the last time that was running?
I'm unsure. the fuel in the sediment bowl is like syrup and the smell coming from the fuel tank is deathly.. the bike its self looks to of had a tune-up. Newer chain, newer tires, and the inner tubes still hold air. The oil is BLACK. I'm not going to attempt to start until I do thorough look over of the fueling and change the oil.

Back