When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

41 DX Bomber to Hybrid

-
R
perfect.JPG

Really sweet. And they are such great riding bikes. Here's my 40:

WOW, great job! Let me ask you this. What did you use to hold your cables in place? Safety wire?

Hi Talon,
Really like the build you did awhile back. Yeah, I have been using safety wire to hold cables on bikes for a long time. It's subtle and vintage. Plastic tie wraps look so out of place to me on a vintage build.

RView attachment 898214

Really sweet. And they are such great riding bikes. Here's my 40:

Nicely done, Speed King. Yes they are great riding bikes. To all you guys sitting on the fence about building a klunker, the sooner you get started the better as the parts are getting harder to find. Once done you will quickly find you have a new favorite bike. Plenty of old school cool in a bicycle that can really be ridden hard.

Hi Talon,
Really like the build you did awhile back. Yeah, I have been using safety wire to hold cables on bikes for a long time. It's subtle and vintage. Plastic tie wraps look so out of place to me on a vintage build.
I had used black string tie wrap on my build. But, I replaced it with leather strips with a pull over button. I agree with you, Zips seem out of place,

Thought I would post a couple pics from a recent visit to the Marin Bicycle Museum. They had a weekend swap meet that was pretty cool so me and a buddy took my 41 DX and my 81 Champion bikes up. Ran into Don Koski that used to own The Cove Bicycle Shop in Tiburon, California. Way cool guy. His shop was the main parts supply for the early MTB pioneers. He invited us and our bikes into the museum and asked if we could leave the bikes inside for the day, which we did. Also met Joe Breeze who was one of the main guys on the Mt. Tam crew. Lots of cool early MTB history in the Museum and some way cool people. Hope you guys find this interesting.
Pat

Joe Breeze with my two bikes inside the museum.

47994658557_01e6c3ac6a_b.jpg
Marin Bicycle Museum by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

My Champion and DX

47994690621_8c61ba1474_b.jpg

Lawill Pro Cruiser on display. These bikes are closely related to the 26" Champions.

47994608932_977fee8173_b.jpg

Hi Dutch,
Sorry for the late response. I will have to look at tires to get the brand name and do some digging to recall where I bought them. Seems it was just standard issue ballon tire stuff.
Pat

Back