When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

42 Harley XA

-

sambo42xa

Look Ma, No Hands!
My 1942 HD XA. Got it back in 2011 and have finally acquired all the parts that were missing. It’s coming along very slow the construction of it as I got many other projects going as well. Though retired now I should be all over it!
Hadn’t been started in 30+ years, I did get it started but it needs adjusting on both carbs. Just wanted to see if it would start.
Each of these bikes produced were considered a prototype as constant changes were made throughout 41-43 production. Though, books show “1011” were produced there were actually many more.
The US needed a bike to withstand the harsh elements in N.Africa. The BMW R71/72(?) was copied thus having the heads out in the open air cooled the engine 100*, driveshaft so no wear on the chain, etc. The war ended and production was too expensive on these XA’s and the Jeep came into play making it less expensive and simplified for GI’s. There is more to the story, I’m just giving a short explanation.
There is a forum on FB as many folks out there have them and a handful actually in running condition. There is also a handful of these bikes that are original as many others have reproduction parts.
Mecum has shown a few of these XA’s up on auction going up to $40k but I’ve seen them with aftermarket parts on them. Finding one with close to all original will bring you up to at least $70k.
I‘m no expert nor do I claim to be, but I’ve done my homework and searching on this bike. There are a few ppl out there who I consider experts on them, one being in Germany and the other in Canada…who also have parts both original and repro.
My XA is number 16** and what is unique about it is it was originally painted the Desert scheme but then painted OD. You can see the two different colors in different area’s of the bike. I still have the original tires both Goodyear and Firestone. This bike is about 90% original I’d say. Any parts I had made were made from exact original parts, ie. Driveshaft guard, exhaust, horn bracket. I found a WLA luggage rack and will modify it to fit as well. This is an older pic, but since I’ve found more parts.
thnx for looking!

IMG_0859.jpeg

IMG_0860.jpeg

IMG_0855.jpeg

IMG_0856.jpeg

IMG_0854.jpeg

IMG_0919.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

My 1942 HD XA. Got it back in 2011 and have finally acquired all the parts that were missing. It’s coming along very slow the construction of it as I got many other projects going as well. Though retired now I should be all over it!
Hadn’t been started in 30+ years, I did get it started but it needs adjusting on both carbs. Just wanted to see if it would start.
Each of these bikes produced were considered a prototype as constant changes were made throughout 41-43 production. Though, books show “1011” were produced there were actually many more.
The US needed a bike to withstand the harsh elements in N.Africa. The BMW R71/72(?) was copied thus having the heads out in the open air cooled the engine 100*, driveshaft so no wear on the chain, etc. The war ended and production was too expensive on these XA’s and the Jeep came into play making it less expensive and simplified for GI’s. There is more to the story, I’m just giving a short explanation.
There is a forum on FB as many folks out there have them and a handful actually in running condition. There is also a handful of these bikes that are original as many others have reproduction parts.
Mecum has shown a few of these XA’s up on auction going up to $40k but I’ve seen them with aftermarket parts on them. Finding one with close to all original will bring you up to at least $70k.
I‘m no expert nor do I claim to be, but I’ve done my homework and searching on this bike. There are a few ppl out there who I consider experts on them, one being in Germany and the other in Canada…who also have parts both original and repro.
My XA is number 16** and what is unique about it is it was originally painted the Desert scheme but then painted OD. You can see the two different colors in different area’s of the bike. I still have the original tires both Goodyear and Firestone. This bike is about 90% original I’d say. Any parts I had made were made from exact original parts, ie. Driveshaft guard, exhaust, horn bracket. I found a WLA luggage rack and will modify it to fit as well. This is an older pic, but since I’ve found more parts.
thnx for looking!

View attachment 1846687

View attachment 1846688

View attachment 1846689

View attachment 1846690

View attachment 1846691

View attachment 1846692

View attachment 1846693
Hey Sambo - thanks for posting - I have a '44 that I picked out of a garage that sat for forty years or so and needs alot of work, although I think it is mostly original bike. When I dig it out I will send you some pictures for your suggestions on how to get this beast operational.

Back