When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Bicycle History Story

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

robertc

Wore out three sets of tires already!
A few weeks ago I was telling Darci (nickinator) about one of my bikes that started my bicycle addiction. Telling her about the bike made wonder, should I share the story with everyone else? Well here it is the story behind my first vintage bicycle. This girl’s Schwinn Autocycle had been originally purchased by Harry and Ruth Pearson who lived at 2425 Walnut Street, Blue Isle Illinois. Harry purchased a DX for himself and the Autocycle for Ruth. The Person’s purchased these two bikes from the Fair Store (The Fair Store was a discount department store founded in 1874 in Chicago Illinois) on March, 20 1942 three months after the US entered into WWII. The Pearson’ was both doctors and after retiring moved from Blue Isle to Durham, N.C. where they lived until their passing. This is where I came into the scene. I found the bike listed on auctionzip to be sold at auction at the Person’s estate on March 16, 2010. My girlfriend and I took off to Durham that Saturday morning. Following the GPS we were within one mile of the auction and running late when we rounded a curve and found an overturned vehicle. My girlfriend is a firefighter/paramedic and I am a Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician so we had a duty to stop and render aid. The vehicle turned out to be a Durham County Paramedic unit. We utilized the equipment on board to treat the medics who luckily had sustained minor injuries who had no patients on board. As soon as the local responders arrived we turned over care to them and rushed to the auction. We arrived just when it had started. 68 years and 4 days after Harry and Ruth purchased these bikes in 1942, I was the proud owner of Ruth’s Autocycle purchased at the auction. Harry’s DX went to an absentee bidder who is also a cabe member. The Autocycle has all of her original paint but I had to re-chrome all of the metal parts. The neat thing about this bicycle is I have the original bill of sale, the original safety tag and a 1942 bicycle tag from Blue Isle, Illinois. All of the items were handed to me after the sale in an envelope with the Pearson’ names on it along with two Schwinn Typhoon tire by the auctioneer. I was loading the bike up and the Pearson’s daughter came up to me and said “her mother loved that bike”. Now, my girlfriend rides it in the local parades and shows it in bike meets. We love the old bike but I just love having the history behind it. See attached photos.

Attachments

• 100_1916.jpg
    100_1916.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0002 (2).jpg
    DSC_0002 (2).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I enjoyed the story Robert.......I didn't know about the accident on your way to the auction.......I think you must have earned some good Karma that day.

Thanks very much for sharing the story behind the bike. You have a great bike there and you really did a good job bringing her back to life. Lots to be proud of with this one :D

Hey Rich,

The Raleigh/Durham news media caught wind that the first ones on scene was off duty firefighter/paramedics from Rockingham County and contacted News 2 in Greensboro who ran me down on Monday. They tried to make it sound like we were heroes but you know it’s just what we do. My girl is out savings lives tonight and I am here on the cabe.

Sweet story! My first Classic was a not-so-special curb find...the second one, however, does have a bit of history. The third or fourth one does as well...and I've told that spooky tale before. ;)

Thanks guys for all of the comments. To some it is only a bike but to others it's a part of history.

Back