When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMF Skyrider

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Finally went and got this bike, turns out it's a 1958 which is why I didn't recognize the design, anybody have a 1958 catalog? The tank and chainguard are noticeably darker than the frame and fenders, I thought it might be light rust but up close, it's just darker paint (or maybe they varnished it to protect the decals, who knows?). The rear fender looks original, although it looks like they painted over a chromed fender (???), but the front fender looks like it was painted to match (sort of). And the wheels are Murray Ohio, so it was re-worked at some point. There's a 24" version for sale on FBM, and it looks like the original front fender would mount a fender light, so now I'm going to have to find one, although I have to admit, I like the white chevron. And I apologize for the last picture, it was the best of 5 attempts.

20230101_145705.jpg

20230101_145828.jpg

20230102_150546.jpg

20230102_150642.jpg

20230102_150757.jpg

20230101_150300.jpg

20230101_145905.jpg

Last edited:
Finally went and got this bike, turns out it's a 1958 which is why I didn't recognize the design, anybody have a 1958 catalog? The tank and chainguard are noticeably darker than the frame and fenders, I thought it might be light rust but seeing it up close, it's just darker paint (or maybe they varnished it to protect the decals, who knows?). The rear fender looks original, although it looks like they painted over a chromed fender (???), but the front fender looks like it was painted to match (sort of). And the wheels are Murray Ohio, so it was re-worked at some point. There's a 24" version for sale on FBM, and it looks like the original front fender would mount a fender light, so now I'm going to have to find one, although I have to admit, I like the white chevron. And I apologize for the last picture, it was the best out of 5 attempts.

View attachment 1769922

View attachment 1769923

View attachment 1769924

View attachment 1769925

View attachment 1769926

View attachment 1769927

View attachment 1769928
That one’s cool - nifty lookin tank & Sprocket & peaks & guard , I want one 🤓

I think the shiny bits on the rear fender are just bare metal that the paint didn't adhere to. The pinstripes are too concentric to be an at home paint job.
But you would think it would rust once the paint flaked away, that's why I'm thinking it's chrome. But I agree it's factory, the front fender is the one that was re-painted.

Finally went and got this bike, turns out it's a 1958 which is why I didn't recognize the design, anybody have a 1958 catalog? The tank and chainguard are noticeably darker than the frame and fenders, I thought it might be light rust but seeing it up close, it's just darker paint (or maybe they varnished it to protect the decals, who knows?). The rear fender looks original, although it looks like they painted over a chromed fender (???), but the front fender looks like it was painted to match (sort of). And the wheels are Murray Ohio, so it was re-worked at some point. There's a 24" version for sale on FBM, and it looks like the original front fender would mount a fender light, so now I'm going to have to find one, although I have to admit, I like the white chevron. And I apologize for the last picture, it was the best out of 5 attempts.

View attachment 1769922

View attachment 1769923

View attachment 1769924

View attachment 1769925

View attachment 1769926

View attachment 1769927

View attachment 1769928
I had a similar one, maybe 60-61. It had a stars chainring and Komet Super rear hub, and the peaked fenders. No headlight.
Enjoy the ride.

I've got a '54 Shelby, and it says "Cleveland" on the head badge so I think AMF moved them to Cleveland after they bought them. This bike says "Little Rock" on the head badge so it's a safe guess that's where it was built. It just struck me as odd that this one doesn't say "Roadmaster" (or "Shelby" either), just "Skyrider". I think this one looks better than the catalog version.
I have several Roadmaster Skyriders, but have never seen one like this. Must be a Shelby Skyrider as I do see some Shelby maybe left overs from when Shelby was bought out by AMF in the mid 50's.. Cool looking bike any way. RideOn..

I have several Roadmaster Skyriders, but have never seen one like this. Must be a Shelby Skyrider as I do see some Shelby maybe left overs from when Shelby was bought out by AMF in the mid 50's.. Cool looking bike any way. RideOn..
I think 1958 was the first year for the Skyrider. Maybe AMF launched them as a new line, separate from the Roadmaster or Shelby brands, but that's pure speculation on my part. But otherwise why wouldn't they sell this bike under one of their established brand names? By 1959 the Skyrider was listed with the other models in the Roadmaster catalog, and maybe there was a Shelby version too but the Shelby catalogs are hard to come by. It had to be something to do with marketing, so that could be almost anything.

Last edited:
Back