When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another big policy change at Ebay

-
ebay started sucking around 2008. surprised I am the only one that noticed. maybe it was ebay motors only at that time, but they added the "fits" thing so when you search for 1949 Chevrolet parts 20,000 seat covers and assorted general car nonsense would come up. this is also when the default search became "best match" where if you had the wrong keywords your item was never even seen on the first page. I parted out 49 - 54 Chevrolets, as well as various car parts I'd get at swap meets and just anything old and collectible.

I would have 30 - 50 items listed at any given time, if I left the house and came back I had bids. it was constant. there were other people selling 49 - 54 parts as well. I parted complete cars and sold everything that was usable. hundreds of listings per car. then it just dried up.

my "canary in a coal mine" was my Hot Rod photo CD's. the West Coast Customs show in Paso Robles and the Nostalgia Drags at Bakersfield were the top sellers. I sold photos of other shows as well.. 15 -20 a month, then NOTHING. I found if I put NHRA in my drag CD's I'd sell a few.

this was the time when Amazon was taking off and the guy running the show thought he was going to be their competition. what a moron.

it was great while it lasted.
When you do a search if you can add (-fits) after your search words and it will eliminate most of this crap taking the search from thousands to just a handful most of the time. V/r Shawn

When you do a search if you can add (-fits) after your search words and it will eliminate most of this crap taking the search from thousands to just a handful most of the time. V/r Shawn
yeah I know that, and you know that, but not enough people knew that to keep the people selling old parts afloat. I did it for 5 years, then POOF!

That is actually an excellent tip!. Thank you for sharing. Tried a couple of times and it does work! Especially for E-bay Motors.
A couple of non related items showed up but they were vintage also. One search went from 3983 items to 93 that were specific! Now to get E-bay to inform buyers! That will never happen!

Back