When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Authentic 1945 Compax ( Military ? )

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
?

Mr C - 'This is my working theory as well. Thanks for your input. It still is a bit strange that Westfield Mfg insisted these were used by Paratroopers even after the war. I doubt they were mistaken about something that important, especially since all their other war productiuon efforts were so well documented. It seems to be a deliberate marketing falsehood. Posssibly it can be called a half truth as they did sell some Compax bikes to the military with an exclusive military design.'

- I'd say it compares well to post-WW1 Columbia advertising of their Military models. Although they did of course supply them to the military in that instance, they designed a marketing campaign in the following years' catalogues playing on the military connection - imaginatively illustrated - so perhaps felt they should do something similar after WW2 as well?

- I'd say it compares well to post-WW1 Columbia advertising of their Military models. Although they did of course supply them to the military in that instance, they designed a marketing campaign in the following years' catalogues playing on the military connection - imaginatively illustrated - so perhaps felt they should do something similar after WW2 as well?

It is big business after all. They were trying to sell bikes and they did have an extensive amount of contribution to the war effort in both world wars aside from just bicycles. Check out some of the statistics I have uncovered so far.

http://vintagecolumbiabikes.com/id111.html

What I learn about this bike will be added to this page on my site.

Well, I removed the paint over and most of the original paint is gone but enough was left to know how it was painted. The primary color on the frame, fork and fenders was "Mohawk Maroon", a standared Westfield color in the 40's. The bars, gooseneck, seatpost, crank and sprocket and bearing cups were all black as was the New Departure rear hub and the one piece Columbia front hub. The rims were Ivory. This was a typical paint job for a wartime Columbia.
The serial number is J33428 which probably puts it in the first quarter of 1945. A reader of my site recently contacted me with pictures of a Compax they own with the same frame and serial number J83496 which is still no doubt the first half of 1945 if you go by the serial numbers on record. Their bike is in very good original condition and has the same Mohawk Maroon paint job.
Since mine was owned by the military during the war and most of the original paint is long gone I have decided to do it over in OD. I will post pictures one it is done.

Why would the Navy be purchasing/using civilian bikes on base when they had a contract for military spec. bikes from Westfield Manufacturing?

View attachment 57900View attachment 57901View attachment 57902View attachment 57903

It is quite likely that a Navy unit had discretionary funds available for small local purchases and this bicycle -- or a couple of them -- was purchased on the local civilian economy. It would have been much easier and faster than going through all the military red tape for a bicycle or two.

It is quite likely that a Navy unit had discretionary funds available for small local purchases and this bicycle -- or a couple of them -- was purchased on the local civilian economy. It would have been much easier and faster than going through all the military red tape for a bicycle or two.

The most logical answer I've had to date. Thank you.

Got ot disagree with this one. Today it would not be difficult for a Navy unit to buy some bicycles but civilian bicycles in WW2 were a rationed item in WW2 and you had to go through along process to get one as a civilian or as a civilian bike seller.

Got ot disagree with this one. Today it would not be difficult for a Navy unit to buy some bicycles but civilian bicycles in WW2 were a rationed item in WW2 and you had to go through along process to get one as a civilian or as a civilian bike seller.

That was true earlier in the war but in the beginning of 1945 bicycle rationing was lifted. I have a 1945 catalog that states this fact and that bikes were now available without restrictions.

Well, here is the 1945 Compax restored in WWII Lusterless Olive Drab. It still needs the finishing touches like bags and straps to hold it together once folded.

DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

Bike looks great in olive drab. Great job on the military look!!!!!!! Neat piece of bicycle history and I bet it looks really good next to your WWII replica Columbia.

Back