When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Campagnolo "Record" front deralleur, A short dissertation of

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was just trying to install the cable on one of these early Campagnolo front derailleurs, and couldn’t get the anchor bolt to tighten enough to keep the cable from slipping.

D9B56237-464D-49DC-A193-B9AE0B936CF6.jpeg

Have any of you guys come across this problem before?
It seem that the little slot in the bell crank arm is too deep, so the anchor bolt/washer just bottom out before it actually clamps the cable.
The only thing I figured I could do, was to wrap the cable around the anchor screw, and double it back down towards the bottom bracket.
It seems to work, and actually doesn’t look too bad, because it help disguise the loose cable end.
But, it really isn’t the way it was designed to work, so I just wondered if there was something I was doing wrong?
5B8A163B-430B-4009-B5F4-CB4E01F4C309.jpeg

@cyclingday I have not really had issues with that connection except on units with cross threading or stripped threads where the clamp bolt screws into the control arm. I have had to re-tap the arm and use a different size bolt (wider diameter) before for secure cable clamping. I did have one arm where that groove in the arm was somewhat "bored out"; probably from cable pulling through either due to improper clamping pressure and/or bolt threading problem. I simply used a thin brass shim ("shim-in-a-can") to remove "excess" space between bolt head and the arm's groove for the cable (cable seats between shim and OE washer). The shim was soft enough to seat into the existing groove (worn or unworn), take up the excess space, and allow me to clamp the cable without adding excess torque and potentially stripping the threads in the arm. The shim is also thin enough that it really does not affect getting enough thread for the bolt to engage. I have also (with less experience and materials) used another washer (seating against control arm), and sandwiched the cable between the two washers; but I used an extended length bolt (not Camp. OE) to account for the loss of bolt length after introducing and fairly thick (Brass) washer into the mix to ensure I was still getting adequate thread engagement of the bolt into the arm. I still put a slight groove into the brass washer to help seat the cable for easier installation/adjustment.
Another possible fix that I have not used in this situation is to add some solder to the existing groove on the control arm to remove excess space. Solder needs to be of higher tin content to provide a harder material since high lead content solder might be too soft to adequately suffice. As I said, I have never tried this for this particular application.
Thankfully, I now have plenty of spare parts to rebuild these units without modifications to them unless they are for my own consumption since I would hate to have to explain the why and how to someone if it was on a bike/part I was selling/gifting.

Last edited:
Not sure if the issue applies for you, but there are different diameters of shifter cable...the early Campagnolo Record NR/SR shifter cables are something like 1.8mm, while the later (stainless steel, I think) cables are 1.25mm, so they are too thin to use with the Record/NR/SR cable clamps.

Not sure if the issue applies for you, but there are different diameters of shifter cable...the early Campagnolo Record NR/SR shifter cables are something like 1.8mm, while the later (stainless steel, I think) cables are 1.25mm, so they are too thin to use with the Record/NR/SR cable clamps.
I still have NOS steel shifter cables from the 70s so I may not have noticed that difference. I will take a closer look at early and later models to see if that groove in the arm changed in depth. Regardless, the methods I use would take care of that issue if using a smaller cable diameter. It might be that I experienced what you are talking about and just did my fix without further thought.

That’s some good intel!
I bet that’s the problem.
I’ll look into that, and try the thicker cable,
Thanks!
Much appreciated!

Sure enough, the cable diameter was the problem.
Vintage bikes require vintage cables.
Who knew?
3511BC84-2A6D-4E87-A727-CA51E6A95A90.jpeg

A421D1B5-18C4-4113-9E86-38859E4812C3.jpeg

Fortunately, Campagnolo littered the Earth with their quality products, so new old stock cables were still available, so I bought several sets.
Should be a lifetime supply.
They work like a champ!
E5FF66C9-0EE1-4F3E-BDA7-6200A1BF2F4E.jpeg

Thanks, for the help guys!
Much appreciated!

ICS (Ital Cicli Systems) Super Record modified unit

I am not a fan of ICS other than their obvious unique chain "catcher" modification as being an oddity. Who seriously rode with these things is beyond me. Let's add weight to a part that has been attempting to shed weight for 30 years. Anyways, here you go:

1950208-ab0ac711c8df9aae52af3352b8c43101~2.jpg

1950206-b94de86c746c98535c341b275a03de57~2.jpg

1950207-8f007e308cc9fa9fe70fd169c49bb613~2.jpg

(Photo credits: umekichi_2008; edited by Jesper)

Edit: just checked (4/1/24) and this unit is still for sale at a steal for only $820 shipping included (from Japan)! It must be that $750 chain catcher thing that makes it worth the money. I have never paid over $70 for an SR unit and do not plan to.

Last edited:
Back