When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corbin & New Departure Hub Dating Project - Need everyone's help pre-1933

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Biggest New Departure question right now is......

What year were these hubs manufactured?

They were definitely manufactured by the New Departure Bell Company or New Departure Manufacturing Company. They are pre-Model A (aka 1903 Model) which came in late 1902 and after the "New Departure" Automatic Coaster that is known to be 1899-1900 from Post #120. The first one is likely the 1901 Model as it has New Departure Bell Co. Bristol Conn. U.S.A. on the brake arm and the second one is likely the 1902 Model as it only has New Departure Coaster Brake Pat'd . This theory is based on the fact that New Departure Bell became New Departure Manufacturing on June 17, 1901. Both have straight hub shells like the 1899-1900 "New Departure" Automatic Coaster whereas the new Model A (1903 Model) that came out in late 1902 had a concave hub shell.

New Departure Bell Co. Bristol Conn. U.S.A. Pat'd (on cast brake arm)
- likely 1901

1_67e5bb4e11e3745bddd8eea77f1f6396-1.jpg

reliableandfairlady057-1.jpg

New Departure Coaster Brake Pat'd (on cast brake arm) - likely 1902

T2eC16FykE9s7twBZBBQSTmf18Hg60_12-1.jpg

KGrHqRmIFBEPhGzprBQSTmmEkhw60_12-1.jpg

CIMG0918-1.jpg

Will require additional research.....

Last edited:
Balloontyre,

Thanks, I see this is a circa 1936 diagram. I'll add ND rear hub (fixie) Models RX, coaster hub "Junior", & BRX & note on front hub model MX. - Gary

Hey Gary,
I dont see the diagram having a date, just the picture note mentions 1936, so not sure of year on the diagram, but likely post 1932.

Pierce had New Departure brake in 1901, looks like Model A but doesn't say it. 1900 I believe was Morrow

The Corbin Coaster Brake Hub MOTHERLOAD!!!!! - Full Run of Hubs w/dates

Here it is, the full run of Corbin Coaster Brake Hubs with dates associated!!!!!!!!!!!

"THE NEW DEPARTURE COASTER HUB & BRAKE"
aka "New Departure Automatic Coaster & Brake"
1898 to 1900

First true coaster brake designed by New Departure Bell Co., manufactured by P.&F.Corbin, sold by both.
  • machined brake arm
  • straight-pull and side-pull spoke versions known

bicycleaccess00riceuoft_00292-1.jpg

1900 to 1901 - The Corbin 1901 Model New Departure Coaster Brake, P.&.F. Corbin Co.

books14jpeg-1.jpg

1902 - The Corbin Duplex 1902 Model New Departure Coaster Brake, P.&.F. Corbin Co.

books15jpeg-1.jpg

1903 - The Corbin Duplex 1903 Model New Departure Coaster Brake, P.&.F. Corbin Co.

books16jpeg-1.jpg

1904 - The 1904 Model Corbin Duplex Coaster Brake, The Corbin Screw Corporation

books6jpeg-1.jpg

1905 - Corbin Duplex Model 6 & the Introduction of the Corbin Duplex Model 5 for Motorcycles & Tandems, The Corbin Screw Corporation

T2eC16RHJIYE9qUcOO2BQPc1plzQ60_573-1.jpg

1906 - Corbin Duplex Model 6, The Corbin Screw Corporation
(NOTE: While not in the picture, the Corbin Two-Speed Model 10 made it's debut in 1906 and is an available option in the 1906 Racycle catalog)

books10jpeg-1.jpg

1907 - Corbin Duplex Model 6 & Corbin Two-Speed Model 10, The Corbin Screw Corporation

books7png-1.jpg

1908 - Corbin Duplex Model 7 & Corbin Two-Speed Model 10, The Corbin Screw Corporation

books8png-1.jpg

1909 - Corbin Duplex Model 8 & Corbin Two-Speed Model 10, The Corbin Screw Corporation

books9png-1.jpg

The Corbin Duplex Model 8 continued pretty much unchanged through the last date I can find of 1922. (1909-1922)

The Corbin Two-Speed Model 10 continued pretty much unchanged through the last date I can find of 1920. (1906-1920)

Last edited:
The "MYTHICAL" New Departure Model B revealed!!!!!!!!!!

I have always heard of the almost "Mythical" New Departure Model B but no one seemed to truly know what it was, when it was made, what it looked like, or if it even truly ever existed. Tonight I present the TRUTH finally!!!!!!!

Yes It Existed!!!!!!!! The "Mythical" Model B hub was designed for and used on band driven motorcycles circa 1906. There was also a Model BB for chain driven motorcycles and tandem bicycles. WITH THAT REVEALED I PRESENT YOU THE "NO LONGER MYTHICAL" NEW DEPARTURE MODEL B & MODEL BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MODELS B & BB: "Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal", Volume 11; October 1, 1906; Page 324

books5jpeg-1.jpg

MODEL BB: Motorcycle Illustrated October 1, 1908 Page 30

books11jpeg-1.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTE: Also note the New Departure Model F front Hub mentioned the the first ad also built for Bicycle Tandems & Motorcycles.

Coaster Brake versus Fixie FUN!!!!!!!!!! - Object Lesson

Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal; October 1, 1905; Page 273

books2png-1.jpg

One more final bit of FUN.....

after a long day of work & research before shutting down for the night!!!!!!!!

"NEW DEPARTURE" BICYCLE BRAKE POSTCARD POSTED 1905 - This almost looks like something Ed "Big Daddy" Roth would have painted in his Rat Fink heyday during the 1960's. Look at the exaggerated size of that ND Model A rear coaster brake hub LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

KGrHqVnkFHISVZK7BQPRITMrV60_57-1.jpg

larkin little ND museum collection

anybody have any of the larkin little ND museum collection that he sold om ebay awhile back they would like to share?

Back