could this be a T.O.C bike ?

This ad disappears when logged in

Kenny Middendorf

Look Ma, No Hands!
Nov 7, 2017
2003 South 4th Street, Fayetteville, IL, United States
this was posted in the 1933 n up section but i think it may be older, cant seem to identify it , any guesses here ! thanks to all !! I'm positive the fenders don't belong and the wheels are wrong, the last pic is it without fenders if you can see it all the way in the back.

561.JPG

554.JPG

556.JPG

557.JPG

567.JPG

572.JPG

579.JPG

558.JPG

612.JPG

skiptooth

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 1, 2017
Tehachapi CA
yes, its 1890's I have a tandem that's probably 1897 but this one looks earlier than that...these have an interesting history w/ the cost of $150.00 new !! the seats are not correct either. ive never seen that style of the steer from rear set up very unusual Richard...:cool:

Kenny Middendorf

Look Ma, No Hands!
Nov 7, 2017
2003 South 4th Street, Fayetteville, IL, United States
you are shure are rite lots of stuff wrong about it , but it screams cool when ya see it ride by ,yes we rode it already . love to see one original !!!! Thank you everyone .

Craig Allen

Jun 23, 2016
Millville NJ
Looks more teens than '90's. Late 1890's tandems just had that special look of refinement about them, whereas this one has a bulky look to it. It still is a fun project to work on.

Jesse McCauley

I live for the CABE
Mar 5, 2013
Richmond, VA & Detroit, MI
Looks more teens than '90's. Late 1890's tandems just had that special look of refinement about them, whereas this one has a bulky look to it. It still is a fun project to work on.
Have you seen many teens era bicycles that used a clamp style stem/ headset vs. quill style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fat tire trader

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Oct 29, 2010
San Quentin, California
www.fattiretrading.com
I agree, by shortly after the turn of the century, the clip style headset was no longer or rarely used on bikes built in America. In addition, Very few companies continued to make courting tandems. The only post TOC courting tandem that I can think of is Colson, I don't remember ever seeing a tandem with this drag link coming out of the seat tube.

Jesse McCauley

I live for the CABE
Mar 5, 2013
Richmond, VA & Detroit, MI
I’m always learning and Craig has seen quite a few more bicycles than I have but while this machine does look rather “clunky” I think it may be 1890’s none the less. I would be interested in seeing a Teens tandem built this way as most I’ve seen end up with the man up front after around 1910 outside of the Colson exception from the 30’s -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian R.

Oct 16, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Was there a Yellow Fellow courting tandem built in the teens? I know a collector who has one - very cool with the chain between frame stays - but he thinks it was built in the teens. He thinks Stearns switched from yellow to brown rather than it being a repaint. It seemed earlier to me.

My vote on the one in this thread is 1890s.
Nice bike.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture