When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 70's Schwinn Collegiate...Just Got it

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This 5 speed Collegiate bike came from the original owner, 10 minutes from my house. It was on Facebook for a week, listed as "BIKE"...not even the word Schwinn. Even dirty, I knew it was in great shape from the three photos that were shown. Decals are perfect, and I believe the tires are original also.
I was told the bike had sat for many years in a dry basement, and it appears that it did. This will clean up very nicely! And check it out...the cap is still on the kickstand! 🙂

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg

IMG_3045.jpeg

IMG_3046.jpeg

IMG_3047.jpeg

IMG_3048.jpeg

IMG_3049.jpeg

IMG_3050.jpeg

IMG_3051.jpeg

IMG_3053.jpeg

IMG_3054.jpeg

IMG_3055.jpeg

IMG_3056.jpeg

IMG_3057.jpeg

IMG_3058.jpeg

I recently got this one, 5 speed Collegiate not nearly as clean as yours. I'm not sure of the year of mine. I think it's all orig. too. Yours will clean up really nice, post some pic's after it's done please. Thanks

20211006_121114.jpg

HARPO, your Collegiate bike has what I call the waffle pedals. Schwinn changed the pedal design to what I call the smooth pedals (seen on that other Collegiate) at some point around the time of yours, actually likely by the last months of 1972, about a year before your bike. Some folks preferred the older waffle with reflector built in so SCHWINN dealers would accomodate them. I have a (AH) Jan 1972 19" Kool Lemon (model 769) step through COLLEGIATE which has the waffle pedal with reflector. Late 1972 and all 1973 , I think would have normally come with the smooth pedal with the built in reflector. Mid- Late 1972 marked the change from wheels with center hump-ridge to those with a smooth area. My memory might be wrong, but that is what I seem to recall.

You understand the DATE CODING for the TWO LETTER Schwinn Serial Number system that began in the mid SIXTIES.

The 2ND LETTER is the YEAR
THE 1st LETTER is the MONTH

Schwinn skipped "eye" & "oh" because they look too much like 'one' & 'zero'

for 2ND LETTER (year) A= 1965
for 1st LETTER(MONTH) A= January

During sometime in 1970 model year, the SERIAL NUMBER LOCATION MOVED TO JUST BELOW THE HEADBADGE.

During 1976 Schwinn also began printing an extremely tiny number day of year code within the oval White Schwinn badge. Possibly late '75 too, but I am certain about 1976.

1973 may have been the last with the round reflector on the chrome raised round bezel attachment to the rear fender.
1974 went to an ugly rectangular plastic rear reflector on the rear fender

Also in 1974, the GT-120 (built by Shimano) replaced the GT-100 (built by Shimano )....The changeover was done by about March 1974. Also around 1974, you'll notice that the Schwinn Stik has (S) with a larger simple ess, where the 1967 - 1973 has an ess that looks funky sort of like the ess in the Kiss rock group logo of the early seventies (s).
The CHAINGUARD also changes to a style that covers slightly more with more metal in front, during the mid Seventies.
The GT-100 is a good unit, much better than the Huret Allvit that the VARSITY/SUBURBAN/CONTINENTAL ten speeds and '64-'69 Collegiate got. The GT-120 is a good unit which is much better than the Huret Allvit seen on the VARSITY/SUBURBAN 10sp/CONTINENTAL and the '64-'69 Collegiate.

THE 1970 -1977 COLLEGIATE & the 1970-1976 SUBURBAN five speeds, ARE UNDOUBTEDLY THE FINEST ELECTROFORGED LIGHTWEIGHT SCHWINN MODELS TO EVER COME OUT OF THE CHICAGO FACTORY.
These 1970 - 1977 COLLEGIATES have a better LOW GEAR (better hill climbing capability) THAN ANY OF THE CONTINENTAL 10 speeds, VARSITY 10 speeds, or SUBURBAN 10 speeds !!
The 1970 - 1977 COLLEGIATE has (37 GEAR number) for low gear.
THE 10 speed Continental, Varsity, & 10 speed Suburban have (38 GEAR number) for low gear.
The 1970 -1976 SUBURBAN 5 SPEED has (39 GEAR number) for low gear
The 1964 - 1969 COLLEGIATE has (43 GEAR number) for low gear

Do the math if you don't believe it. The SEVENTIES era Collegiate & Suburban 5 SPEED have 32 teeth as largest rear sprocket.
The Sixties era Collegiate and the sixties & seventies Continental / Varsity and 10 speed Suburban have 28 teeth as largest rear sprocket.
Those ten speeds of late sixties and seventies have 52T/39T up front.
Those five speeds of the sixties and seventies have 46T up front

The 1970 & later COLLEGIATE is massively better than the 1969 & earlier COLLEGIATE!!!
Hugely better rideability in being able to climb hills.
REAR DERAILLEUR & FREEWHEEL are better in 1970 & onward.....Japanese
1964-1969 rear derailleur & freewheel are French......quality is very good though, just not as good as Japanese.
THE HUGE FACTOR THOUGH THAT MAKES the 1970 & Later is the (37 GEAR) low gear versus (43 GEAR).
The european rear derailleurs could not reliably shift anything much more than 28 teeth. Thus the Seventies era COLLEGIATE is much more practical and a better riding experience. You can climb hills that you cannot do on the 1964-1969 models.
THIS IS WHY THE 1970 & later COLLEGIATE IS A MUCH BETTER BICYCLE THAN ANY SIXTIES COLLEGIATE.
Many people are unaware of this. Most are shocked to find that the Seventies COLLEGIATE has a better LOW GEAR than the VARSITY & CONTINENTAL does.

THE SEVENTIES ERA COLLEGIATE IS A FANTASTIC BICYCLE THAT TOO MANY FOLKS DON'T KNOW JUST HOW GOOD IT ACTUALLY IS. IT IS MORE DURABLE THAN THE VARSITY & CONTINENTAL. The Model J freewheel and shimano built rear derailleurs on the SEVENTIES era COLLEGIATE are better quality than the Model F freewheel and the Huret Allvit that the VARSITY & CONTINENTAL GOT. That is not saying that the Model F & Huret Allvit aren't decent enough, but not quite as good as the Japanese model J and shimano built GT-100 & GT-120 rear derailleurs.

The 597mm 26 x 1 3/8 wheels give the COLLEGIATE a great comfortable ride.

You'll notice that I have stopped after 1976 for the SUBURBAN 5 speed & stopped after 1977 for the COLLEGIATE, because both received the FFS (forward freewheel system) which though functioned well, is different and for another discussion. You probably want to confine your search to ordinary versions before FFS.

Those SEVENTIES era COLLEGIATES also have a much more comfortable T-85, I think it is, black rubber-vinyl spring seat by Mesinger with the Schwinn Approved rear rivet tag, which is much more comfortable than the seats before about '71 or '70. Though the earlier two-tone colored S seats look cool, their comfort for your 'bum' is not nearly as good as the rubber like black seat seen on every 1971, 1972, 1973,.....etc

Are Collegiates, Racers, Speedsters, Suburbans all similar in frame design? To a newbie like myself they look similar, what are the major changes?

HARPO, your Collegiate bike has what I call the waffle pedals. Schwinn changed the pedal design to what I call the smooth pedals (seen on that other Collegiate) at some point around the time of yours, actually likely by the last months of 1972, about a year before your bike. Some folks preferred the older waffle with reflector built in so SCHWINN dealers would accomodate them. I have a (AH) Jan 1972 19" Kool Lemon (model 769) step through COLLEGIATE which has the waffle pedal with reflector. Late 1972 and all 1973 , I think would have normally come with the smooth pedal with the built in reflector. Mid- Late 1972 marked the change from wheels with center hump-ridge to those with a smooth area. My memory might be wrong, but that is what I seem to recall.

You understand the DATE CODING for the TWO LETTER Schwinn Serial Number system that began in the mid SIXTIES.

The 2ND LETTER is the YEAR
THE 1st LETTER is the MONTH

Schwinn skipped "eye" & "oh" because they look too much like 'one' & 'zero'

for 2ND LETTER (year) A= 1965
for 1st LETTER(MONTH) A= January

During sometime in 1970 model year, the SERIAL NUMBER LOCATION MOVED TO JUST BELOW THE HEADBADGE.

During 1976 Schwinn also began printing an extremely tiny number day of year code within the oval White Schwinn badge. Possibly late '75 too, but I am certain about 1976.

1973 may have been the last with the round reflector on the chrome raised round bezel attachment to the rear fender.
1974 went to an ugly rectangular plastic rear reflector on the rear fender

Also in 1974, the GT-120 (built by Shimano) replaced the GT-100 (built by Shimano )....The changeover was done by about March 1974. Also around 1974, you'll notice that the Schwinn Stik has (S) with a larger simple ess, where the 1967 - 1973 has an ess that looks funky sort of like the ess in the Kiss rock group logo of the early seventies (s).
The CHAINGUARD also changes to a style that covers slightly more with more metal in front, during the mid Seventies.
The GT-100 is a good unit, much better than the Huret Allvit that the VARSITY/SUBURBAN/CONTINENTAL ten speeds and '64-'69 Collegiate got. The GT-120 is a good unit which is much better than the Huret Allvit seen on the VARSITY/SUBURBAN 10sp/CONTINENTAL and the '64-'69 Collegiate.

THE 1970 -1977 COLLEGIATE & the 1970-1976 SUBURBAN five speeds, ARE UNDOUBTEDLY THE FINEST ELECTROFORGED LIGHTWEIGHT SCHWINN MODELS TO EVER COME OUT OF THE CHICAGO FACTORY.
These 1970 - 1977 COLLEGIATES have a better LOW GEAR (better hill climbing capability) THAN ANY OF THE CONTINENTAL 10 speeds, VARSITY 10 speeds, or SUBURBAN 10 speeds !!
The 1970 - 1977 COLLEGIATE has (37 GEAR number) for low gear.
THE 10 speed Continental, Varsity, & 10 speed Suburban have (38 GEAR number) for low gear.
The 1970 -1976 SUBURBAN 5 SPEED has (39 GEAR number) for low gear
The 1964 - 1969 COLLEGIATE has (43 GEAR number) for low gear

Do the math if you don't believe it. The SEVENTIES era Collegiate & Suburban 5 SPEED have 32 teeth as largest rear sprocket.
The Sixties era Collegiate and the sixties & seventies Continental / Varsity and 10 speed Suburban have 28 teeth as largest rear sprocket.
Those ten speeds of late sixties and seventies have 52T/39T up front.
Those five speeds of the sixties and seventies have 46T up front

The 1970 & later COLLEGIATE is massively better than the 1969 & earlier COLLEGIATE!!!
Hugely better rideability in being able to climb hills.
REAR DERAILLEUR & FREEWHEEL are better in 1970 & onward.....Japanese
1964-1969 rear derailleur & freewheel are French......quality is very good though, just not as good as Japanese.
THE HUGE FACTOR THOUGH THAT MAKES the 1970 & Later is the (37 GEAR) low gear versus (43 GEAR).
The european rear derailleurs could not reliably shift anything much more than 28 teeth. Thus the Seventies era COLLEGIATE is much more practical and a better riding experience. You can climb hills that you cannot do on the 1964-1969 models.
THIS IS WHY THE 1970 & later COLLEGIATE IS A MUCH BETTER BICYCLE THAN ANY SIXTIES COLLEGIATE.
Many people are unaware of this. Most are shocked to find that the Seventies COLLEGIATE has a better LOW GEAR than the VARSITY & CONTINENTAL does.

THE SEVENTIES ERA COLLEGIATE IS A FANTASTIC BICYCLE THAT TOO MANY FOLKS DON'T KNOW JUST HOW GOOD IT ACTUALLY IS. IT IS MORE DURABLE THAN THE VARSITY & CONTINENTAL. The Model J freewheel and shimano built rear derailleurs on the SEVENTIES era COLLEGIATE are better quality than the Model F freewheel and the Huret Allvit that the VARSITY & CONTINENTAL GOT. That is not saying that the Model F & Huret Allvit aren't decent enough, but not quite as good as the Japanese model J and shimano built GT-100 & GT-120 rear derailleurs.

The 597mm 26 x 1 3/8 wheels give the COLLEGIATE a great comfortable ride.

You'll notice that I have stopped after 1976 for the SUBURBAN 5 speed & stopped after 1977 for the COLLEGIATE, because both received the FFS (forward freewheel system) which though functioned well, is different and for another discussion. You probably want to confine your search to ordinary versions before FFS.

Those SEVENTIES era COLLEGIATES also have a much more comfortable T-85, I think it is, black rubber-vinyl spring seat by Mesinger with the Schwinn Approved rear rivet tag, which is much more comfortable than the seats before about '71 or '70. Though the earlier two-tone colored S seats look cool, their comfort for your 'bum' is not nearly as good as the rubber like black seat seen on every 1971, 1972, 1973,.....etc

Thanks for all the info!!!!! You're a Collegiate Encyclopedia! 🧐

Back