When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Easiest way to ship a bare bones frame.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Who or what is the easiest way to ship a bare bones, stripped frame. Can a frame be shipped just by putting a shipping label on it and not packaging it? I've shipped car bumpers like that.
Thanks,
Ed

I remember years ago somebody here received a bike frame that was plastic wrapped. Some cardboard taped to the head tube and I believe the drop out was supported somehow, and that was it.

The USPS takes handlebars w/o any wrapping, just a label. I have shipped a couple that way. Would think a frame could go the same way via UPS, that is, if the paint isnt worth protecting.

Received a og paint frame & fork yrs ago with just a piece of cardboard wrapped around it, forks & rear dropouts were both bent/squashed!

I bought a guitar last year from a moron in England who shipped it to me over seas wrapped it in a garbage bag and packing tape and thought nothing of it! ...

20221117_152629.jpg

Even a 26 inch bare frame will fit in a bike box from a 20 inch bike. Big box stores generally toss them or recycle them especially this time of year.

An exact-sized box through one of the big shippers is likely your best bet. I often make my own boxes. I save large cardboard sheets from furniture purchases, etc. Making a box isn't hard if you take a minute to understand how it goes together. I measure the item out (in this case a frame) and ensure that the box measures just slightly larger (1/2" or so) than the item's dimensions to accommodate bubble wrap or foam sheeting. The key is to not give any room for shifting so that the item seats snugly in the box with a layer of protection between it and the cardboard. I then do my best to fill any void with air pillows saved from online purchases sent to the house. Obviously making a box isn't the easiest way, but if the paint is worth protecting, it's a safe approach.

Back