When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fastest coaster brake?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This one is fast.From the Little 500........

little 500 1.JPG

I thought the post was a question, since, there was a question mark in the title.

Love me some coasters. There is a Mexican Bendix laying next to my shed, in the dirt, free, come get it.

Replaced it with something better. Not free. But, unquestionably better.

Free is good, unless it ain’t. Might be lyrics to a country/western song in there.

YMMV. But, fastest is seldom free.

Hey, ride hard. Good for the soul.
Ted

Timed myself over 12 miles a few weeks ago and did an 18.5mph average wearing winter clothing, not as fast as I was hoping for but okay. Have been riding this bike in the rain, snow and road-salt lately.

Weather has been bad for riding lately, bad news for me as I depend on riding to help control my blood-pressure problems. Had a window of good weather this morning though and got out and did 40 miles on the "Toaster" at a 15mph average. In three previous rides one was on ice, two were in the rain, one of the rides in the rain I also had a flat, so glad to be riding but miss the summer weather for sure.
toaster ice.jpg

I hot rodded a couple of CB-110E Shimano coasters a while back. I chamfered the edges of the shoes, removed the bearings from the cages on the drive side, added more loose balls and used quality grease. The reduction in drag was very noticeable.

I reworked all the edges on this hubs shoes. No cages on ball bearings increases friction and wear, it is why the highest performance racing engines in history that used ball and roller bearings always had cages to keep the rolling elements rubbing against each other with a surface speed of twice their rotational speed. Just an old wives tale to remove cages.

Over the years I have pulled apart many hubs with loose balls. The only hubs I find with wear are those which have not been serviced or have been sitting for a long time in the elements.

I also believe the extra balls on the drive side of a coaster hub reduce wear as the load is spread over more balls. The first hub I modified was a Taiwanese or Chinese copy of the Shimano hub. Since the modifications I have not had to adjust the cones to remove play.

Last edited:
Back