When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greenville, MS Schwinn bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It seems the Greenville plant was in operation from 1981 to 1991. Another reason was mentioned in this article why Schwinn was losing the battle. Location location location. ;)

Sept. 28, 1991 Chicago Tribune article.

It seems the Greenville plant was in operation from 1981 to 1991. Another reason was mentioned in this article why Schwinn was losing the battle. Location location location. ;)

Sept. 28, 1991 Chicago Tribune article.

Location indeed.
One point he doesn't mention is that the headquarters in Chicago were 600 miles from the plant in Greenville Mississippi, even though manufacturing in Chicago had ended 10 years earlier. I've read somewhere that Giant's headquarters are located right in front of the main plant.

Last edited:
Here is a 1986 review that says the Schwinn Circuit fills the gap in the upper-end line between the SuperSport and the Peloton, and that the Greenville plant "cover's most of the company's upper end."

Later it says "the brazing and lugs on the Greenville frames are not yet up to the standards that the Japanese have set, but our bike certainly isn't sloppy looking."

Attachments

• 1986.08.01 Schwinn Circuit.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 153
If you haven’t read it, most of these topics are covered in the “No Hands” book. If you are a Schwinn fan it is a must read.

Richard Schwinn occasionally gives talks in Wisconsin about Waterford and Schwinn. Someone I know asked him to sign the No Hands book after one of these talks, and he refused. He said the book was propaganda by “the banks and newspapers.” Take that for what you will. Ed Schwinn and his wife ran a cheese gift shop in Lake Geneva, WI after the bankruptcy. I believe they are retired now, but not certain. Apparently he never talks publicly about his time at Schwinn.

One thing that I often wondered about the demise of the Schwinn Company with the younger generation at the helm during the 80's, I wonder if any of them ever got caught up in the over indulgence of the powdered party favors that were so popular in the 80's.......????.........LOL

If you haven’t read it, most of these topics are covered in the “No Hands” book. If you are a Schwinn fan it is a must read.

Richard Schwinn occasionally gives talks in Wisconsin about Waterford and Schwinn. Someone I know asked him to sign the No Hands book after one of these talks, and he refused. He said the book was propaganda by “the banks and newspapers.” Take that for what you will. Ed Schwinn and his wife ran a cheese gift shop in Lake Geneva, WI after the bankruptcy. I believe they are retired now, but not certain. Apparently he never talks publicly about his time at Schwinn.

Yeah, the book is a good read, but I agree it's a somewhat slanted account.

Here is a bike that most likely came out of the Greenville factory.

1984 Sidewinder

Back