When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greenville, MS Schwinn bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Not 100% sure either way. But the Sidewinder frames were basically a modified Varsity frame.
I'm pretty sure they didn't EF full frames at the Greenville plant. All the EF tooling was supposidly sold to Murray.

I'm pretty sure they didn't EF full frames at the Greenville plant. All the EF tooling was supposidly sold to Murray.

Well taking into consideration that the frame was made in Feb. of 83, then finally assembled as a complete bike over a year later in March of 84, it is really hard to say where it was finally assembled?

Here is a 1986 review that says the Schwinn Circuit fills the gap in the upper-end line between the SuperSport and the Peloton, and that the Greenville plant "cover's most of the company's upper end."

Later it says "the brazing and lugs on the Greenville frames are not yet up to the standards that the Japanese have set, but our bike certainly isn't sloppy looking."
Pics of '87 Circuit I recently cleaned..

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C4.jpg

C6.jpg

Well taking into consideration that the frame was made in Feb. of 83, then finally assembled as a complete bike over a year later in March of 84, it is really hard to say where it was finally assembled?

View attachment 1211023

View attachment 1211024

There is no recorded date when Schwinn's frames were made. The date associated to the serial numbers is the date that serial number was stamped on the bike component and this production process started way back in 1937 when the numbers were machine stamped. The frames were built sometime later and no records of the frame build were recorded. This is mentioned in a 1970's Schwinn Reporter.

I believe those Sidewinders and other EF frame models during this time were produced by Murray. Schwinn actually supplied the SN stamped head tubes but not the EF bottom bracket shells for Murray and this has been noted on many of the Murray made Schwinns including the Cruisers and EF lightweights. Do you have some shots of all the BB joints? The head tubes and bottom bracket joints on these will tell you were the bike was made.

The Reporter showing the the head tube being stamped with the serial number and the holes being drilled for the head badge.

There is no recorded date when Schwinn's frames were made. The date associated to the serial numbers is the date that serial number was stamped on the bike component and this production process started way back in 1937 when the numbers were machine stamped. The frames were built sometime later and no records of the frame build were recorded. This is mentioned in a 1970's Schwinn Reporter.

I believe those Sidewinders and other EF frame models during this time were produced by Murray. Schwinn actually supplied the SN stamped head tubes but not the EF bottom bracket shells for Murray and this has been noted on many of the Murray made Schwinns including the Cruisers and EF lightweights. Do you have some shots of all the BB joints? The head tubes and bottom bracket joints on these will tell you were the bike was made.

The Reporter showing the the head tube being stamped with the serial number and the holes being drilled for the head badge.

View attachment 1211286

The stamping of the serial number into the head tube was the beginning of the frame building process, so most normal people consider this the frame build date! And that blurry pic is not readable or legible.

I have no clear shots showing the bottom bracket, and the bike is now all packed up for shipping because I sold it on Ebay, and then I canceled the transaction.

I beg to differ on what your normal people think the frame build date is. Lets call the build date when Schwinn starts rolling the tubing for the top and down tubes. ;)

I beg to differ on what your normal people think the frame build date is. Lets call the build date when Schwinn starts rolling the tubing for the top and down tubes. ;)

Well that is a totally irrational analogy, since they never date stamped the tubing....... :rolleyes:

I just found an 87 Prelude in mint looking condition, not too far away. I guess it would be a Greenville bike, which is what I am looking for. Any way to be sure?

This is from "Bicycles From Taiwan", a report published in August 1983 on the findings of The United States International Trade Commission on a suit filed under the Tariff Act of 1930. The suit was brought by the Bicycle Manufacturers Association of America (AMF, Huffy, Murray and Columbia) alleging that bicycles from Taiwan were being sold at less than fair market value. But Schwinn and Ross opposed the suit and the commission found that there was no material harm to the domestic industry. But the interesting part is that the report includes a long background section on the industry at the time. Going by this excerpt, the Greenville plant was for lugged frame bikes, at least when it was first opened. It also backs up what @GTs58 said, the electroforged production went to Murray in Tennessee after Chicago closed. If you want to look at this report for yourself, it's on Googlebooks and I found it by searching on "Schwinn operations 1982".

BFTSection.PNG

Last edited:
Back