When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ho Hum, Another Middleweight-- The '59 Speedster

-
Middleweights are great riding bikes. 1959 is a great year, my first, last and only restoration was a 59 Tiger. One year only reflector. Painted fenders that I have way too much time into. A guy laid down awesome pinstripes for me. Upgraded seat, kickstand, it was a fun project. Nobody worried about originality.

Take your Speedster for a ride. Nice work on those fenders ! I’ve body worked several and I think most people underestimate how much time you can put into them?

Ted

View attachment 1845944

View attachment 1845945

View attachment 1845946

View attachment 1845947

View attachment 1845948

View attachment 1845949

View attachment 1845950

Can I come up and buy that bike but you can keep the FRAME/FORK ... <<< make a super nice cruiser/klunker👍
ohhh what a deal to be had... 🤔🤗

I found this to be really close, if not right on. Depends on what you put down for a base and how many coats you apply.

1685682202178.jpeg

I found this to be really close, if not right on. Depends on what you put down for a base and how many coats you apply.

View attachment 1847823
I've used this before in a different color. Boy is this paint tuff to lay down. Tried it over BMX chrome forks & over a silver base coat. Works best over "chrome" but man you have to be very careful to be able to get it even & no runs! GOOD LUCK to ya

Man, being borderline OCD has its drawbacks. I'd been wanting a middleweight single-speed for some time (yeah, I know I had that red Typhoon a month or so ago, but that was just a placeholder), and because there's diddly-squat for sale around here, I decided to build my own. I had pretty much everything I needed for a complete bike except one tiny little thing-- a suitable frame. Again there was bupkis around these parts listed for sale, so I'd been combing Craigslist, Facebook, and here of course, but I finally found what I was looking for on eBay a couple weeks ago: a clean, all original, '59 Speedster in radiant blue. With a chainguard with good screens. I placed my order and was quite excited to get started-- and then I found my '37 Hawthorne. Let me tell you-- and MANY of you I'm sure can vouch for this-- that after playing around with an 86-year-old bicycle, messing with a 'modern' Schwinn is almost mundane. I thought about cancelling my order, but it was already on its way, and the seller had made me a deal, so fine, I'll build my dumb middleweight. Then I can get back to searching for prewar ballooners to restore! Yippee!

So here it is, yawn, my 1959 Schwinn Speedster. Anyone want to trade for a crusty '38 Rollfast?

View attachment 1843587

View attachment 1843588

View attachment 1843589
I would have to agree with you 100%. Single speed MW's are very Ho Hum.

Back