When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hungarian Schwinn S2?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
While the 1982 Sidewinders had aluminum rims, I have an '83 with S-2's, but I also have an '83 Varsity Deluxe with what looks like Murray rims. I've read that they shut Chicago down in stages, do you know any of the details on that? Schwinn seems to have kept their problems out of the public spotlight at the time.
No, Sorry, it was a long time ago for this old man. Schwinn had no incentive to make the gradual re-sourcing an industry topic.

John

While the 1982 Sidewinders had aluminum rims, I have an '83 with S-2's, but I also have an '83 Varsity Deluxe with what looks like Murray rims. I've read that they shut Chicago down in stages, do you know any of the details on that? Schwinn seems to have kept their problems out of the public spotlight at the time.

83 was still a transitional year for the Chicago factory. I have an 83 Cruiser with a Chicago built frame, and the CMC wheel set. Those rims were not made by Murray, they were made by CMC on the Cruisers. They also had a Shimano coaster brake hub on the rear, and the French hub made by Normandy on the front, with .080ga spokes.

1983-schwinn-predator-cruisers-middleweights.jpg

83 was still a transitional year for the Chicago factory. I have an 83 Cruiser with a Chicago built frame, and the CMC wheel set. Those rims were not made by Murray, they were made by CMC on the Cruisers. They also had a Shimano coaster brake hub on the rear, and the French hub made by Normandy on the front, with .080ga spokes.

View attachment 1800271
CMC? At first I thought you meant CCM but then realized they're two different companies. I assumed Murray used their own rims when they started building the bikes, now I'm going to have to go back and take a closer look.

CMC? At first I thought you meant CCM but then realized they're two different companies. I assumed Murray used their own rims when they started building the bikes, now I'm going to have to go back and take a closer look.

CMC rims were used on lots of BMX bikes back in the day also! The rims on my 84 Cruiser 5 are not stamped.

CMC rim.png

IMG_2014.JPG

Back