eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

1968fury

Look Ma, No Hands!
Apr 25, 2018
Long island
Hi all,
I was riding the Iver to do an errand and about 5 blocks to the house the right pedal broke off. My question is which way does the threads go so I don’t totally ruin the crank.

Duchess

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Feb 14, 2014
Beverly, MA
When thinking of it, imagine the direction of the thread allowing the pedal to tighten as you ride. Or another way is that they always tighten in the forward direction. If you're asking because the bike is so old, the answer should be the same as it is on my 1912 Iver.

piercer_99

I live for the CABE
Dec 27, 2015
Sanger, TX
Ahh... so it’s like the lug nuts on my 68 fury.....they tighten towards the front of the car and loosen towards the rear. Duchess do you have a picture of your pedals?

Exactly, Chrysler Plymouth had reverse threads on the left side of their vehicles until 1970.

Reactions: Balloonoob
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

AndyA

Finally riding a big boys bike
Nov 24, 2017
bergen county
It's fortunate that it was the right pedal that failed. You can use a standard screw extractor to get the remaining piece out of the crank. It probably would be a good idea to change out the left pedal as well. I'd hate to think about losing a pedal while standing and pedaling up a hill.

And yes, I remember the reverse-thread lug nuts on the left side of my dad's 1963 Plymouth.

1968fury

Look Ma, No Hands!
Apr 25, 2018
Long island
I got the broken piece out of the crank arm without damaging threads. I borrowed the pedals off the tandem for now.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!