When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins 8 speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HyperHal

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I have a somewhat unusual bicycle. It’s a JC Higgins 8 speed (made in Hungary) circa 1961. In addition to the 8 speed, it has an unusual early example of a derailleur. It is made of telescoping spring steel (see photo). One just like it was ridden in the first TOSRV. (See photo). Any further information would be appreciated

37278FA8-3B7F-40A9-81D3-D1F4FB7F3C3F.jpeg

-----

thanks so much for sharing this cycle!

it was manufactured in Graz, Austria by Steyr (also producers of Styria, Puch and Austro-Daimler marques)

the 503 prefix seen in the Sears item number stamped into the bottom bracket shell indicates the product was sourced from this company

back Sears catalogues have been posted online. since you know the model year you should be able to look up the catalogue page for it if wished.

gear ensemble appears to be the Simplex Tour de France model rear paired with Simplex LJ23 model front
wheel hubs Normandy Sport
brakes Weinmann model 730
pedals Atom model 440

frame's chain stay bridge is ESGE plate style

would be helpful to readers if you could post one or more drive-side images of the machine 😉

-----

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of the J.C. Higgins with 3 speed hubs, this is the first 8 speed derailleur JCH I've seen. All the 3 speeds were marked "Made in Austria" on the head badge and are thought to have been built by Steyr, as @juvela said. But Austria and Hungary were both in the Austro-Hungarian Empire before WWI, so it's possible Steyr had a plant in Hungary or some other connection. Can we get a picture of the head badge?

I've seen a lot of the J.C. Higgins with 3 speed hubs, this is the first 8 speed derailleur JCH I've seen. All the 3 speeds were marked "Made in Austria" on the head badge and are thought to have been built by Steyr, as @juvela said. But Austria and Hungary were both in the Austro-Hungarian Empire before WWI, so it's possible Steyr had a plant in Hungary or some other connection. Can we get a picture of the head badge?
It’s in less than pristine condition.

In my defense, I would like to say that I bought this at a garage sale in 1975. The rims were already warped beyond straightening and rusty. I wrote it for several years before we moved to a new house and I put it in my crawlspace for the last 24 years. I just pulled it back out and I’ve decided to exit up and get it back on the road.

It’s in less than pristine condition. View attachment 1479177

In my defense, I would like to say that I bought this at a garage sale in 1975. The rims were already warped beyond straightening and rusty. I wrote it for several years before we moved to a new house and I put it in my crawlspace for the last 24 years. I just pulled it back out and I’ve decided to exit up and get it back on the road.View attachment 1479178
View attachment 1479179

View attachment 1479180
View attachment 1479183

View attachment 1479184
It may not be pristine, but it looks pretty good to me! There's no heavy rust and the paint and decals are still decent. It would take some work, but you could make that bike shine like a diamond. Are those 26 inch wheels? Thanks for the additional pictures, these early derailleur-equipped bikes aren't nearly as common as the later ones.

Back