When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Bought a 1981 Lotus Eclair...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I just noticed something missing from the bike...water bottle mounts!!! What the heck were they thinking back then?? I'm not attaching an after-market cage on this beautiful paint (even if I put something under it), so this bike will be relegated to shorter rides. :mad:
No bikes came with bottle cage bosses before 1980.
Here are a few choices - I've tried several, and listed these in order of decreasing trickness

My favorite on two bikes, King Cage universal support bolts - look down page
these are stainless hose clamps with a welded stud and aircraft nut - they work much better than the old TA alloy band clamps (or the new VO nickel-plated version of the same),
plus they let you use any bottle cage.
I lined them with strips cut from leftover leather handlebar wrap, but you could also use helicopter tape.
Okcd5k3.jpg

same thing on my '57 Lenton with cooler Nitto cages
AKa6uDi.jpg

Klickfix bottle cage mounts-
- plus, how can you not buy from VeloFred?
very secure, any bottle cage, and come with good rubber pads to protect your frame
LRp0cOR.jpg

my '92 Viner Pro CX didn't come with bosses for anything, not even brake bolt holes, and I got really creative at hanging stuff on it.
6YY7fET.jpg

moving down the desirability list, Elite VIP straps aren't very secure, but inexpensive and won't mark your frame.
tuZlp9L.jpg

these match the period, but that's the only good thing about them - VO cage straps, which copy the old TA style.
They only fit a few bottle cages which have long tabs, which VO doesn't sell - but will fit Zefal and these Novarra
worst thing, they rusted after 2 years
GPULPli.jpg

there are some other options out there, Minoura, etc

I have one of these, not in use, which will probably fit the rails on your kashimax perfectly - it's to hang two water bottle cages behind your saddle - yours if you want it?
spacer.gif

Last edited:
I got a red aluminum handlebar mount cage from China for 2 dollars or something on ebay a couple years back. Don't have a picture.I was going to try to turn a 16 oz aluminum bottle into an extra light fuel tank for a China Girl motorized build, but changed my mind, and now as you can see- I'm more into electrics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-C...260745?hash=item33ebbb6c09:g:JOwAAOSwU8hY7c1k

This might be more practical-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aluminum-Alloy-Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-Drink-Water-Bottle-Holder-Rack-Cages/332663861052?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=52475&meid=9a9b250407744f13a74acdee8aba3bbb&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=12&sd=222998260745&itm=332663861052&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

When I started cycling, handlebar cages were just giving way to frame cages, and my first varsity had the cage on the seat tube cause I just didn't know any better.

Last edited:
correct (right up to the part about equating varsity with cycling or being able to make educated choices)
OLyQ4kO.jpg

A simple, smart bottle-shaped handlebar/stem bag solves many problems - have one of these on each bike - one example
Great for automatic drop of keys, wallet and cellphone
4oc6umK.jpg

but they also very nicely fit a water bottle or even 25-oz thermos
bz87gtX.jpg

or even a longneck
matzkTT.jpg

Last edited:
@harpon I saw Mike Wolfe from American Pickers try out an electric bike a few years back on one of the episodes. He took off like a rocket! It was a new, but vintage looking bike. Not cheap, I'm sure.

International bike shop in Sommerville MA very famous shop here one of my buddies worked there back in 80's. Lotus made some really nice bikes some of their high end models I believe were made by Cinelli.

What a pain getting the Kashimax saddle off! Dumbest seat post saddle holder
I've ever had the displeasure of working on. Practically had to pry off the seat to get the bolts off.
The detailing is coming along quite nicely, though. I've removed the pedal clips (never use them) and stored them away safely with the saddle. I think I have another Body Geometry saddle left, so that might appear on it.

Anyway, having fun with such a clean bike that I'm making even cleaner! :D

se
IMG_3245.JPG
IMG_3246.JPG
IMG_3247.JPG
IMG_3248.JPG
IMG_3250.JPG

Last edited:
International bike shop in Sommerville MA very famous shop here one of my buddies worked there back in 80's. Lotus made some really nice bikes some of their high end models I believe were made by Cinelli.

International was in Allston, I used to live down the street from it. They closed a few years ago. You may be thinking of Wheelworks in Somerville.

Back