When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Klunker V huh??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm still thinking Schwinn planned on dropping the Spitfire name completely for 79, it just wasn't trendy/current enough and use just Klunker till the trademark trouble so went the easy way ( Spitfire ) and made sure they could use Cruiser for '80!

It is hard to say what Schwinn was thinking at the time? One thing we do know for sure, is that they were very slow to react to some of the market trends during that time period! The Spitfire name didn't slow down the demand for these bikes at my shop, they were one of our best sellers during that time!!!

I think Schwinn created trends like Stingrays & Klunkers/Beach Cruisers in the mainstream industry by following local treads ( especially Calif trends ) but were slow on the BMX & Mt bike but really lost it on the business/labor end of it.

I think Schwinn created trends like Stingrays & Klunkers/Beach Cruisers in the mainstream industry by following local treads ( especially Calif trends ) but were slow on the BMX & Mt bike but really lost it on the business/labor end of it.

The Sting-Ray is a Schwinn icon that did set a trend of sorts in the bicycle industry!

But IMO, the Cruiser phenomenon I believe just fell into their lap thanks to the beach crowd in Southern California. It is quite interesting that the first production Cruiser in 76 was named the California Cruiser. But then the issue with that name being trademarked, Schwinn quickly changed it to the Spitfire for the next 3 model years. It wasn't until the 1980 model year that they used the Cruiser name on the bikes again? Regardless of the name, the Spitfire & Cruiser were a hot seller in our shop during that era!

Last edited:
Schwinn's Al Fritz had a eye on trends and when kids in socal were customizing their 20"ers he went to management with the idea, they thought he was crazy but we know how that went!, wonder how the figured out the StingRay name? maybe GM approved thinking kids would grow up and buy their cars! but wonder did Schwinn have to pay GM?, a few yrs later in the same area there were beach cruisers and then the norcal/Marin Clunkers ( more name troubles ) and as said Schwinn lost it's way after that!

Last edited:
Not sure how much of this on the Cali Cruisers is accurate.

As far as I know there were no infringements with the Klunker 5 and no lawsuits.

Bikes with names that cars had was a popular thing and Huffy had multiple models with car names. No name infringements since the product was not car related.

Not sure how much of this on the Cali Cruisers is accurate.

As far as I know there were no infringements with the Klunker 5 and no lawsuits.

Bikes with names that cars had was a popular thing and Huffy had multiple models with car names. No name infringements since the product was not car related.

That's pretty much as I remember it but I remember there was infringements with some of the Mt. Tam crew that Klunker was still to similar to their Clunker.

Man, that author doesn't have a clue! he's all over the place! The StingRay morphed into BMX and the Klunker/Cruiser into the Mountain bike! he is wrapping it all into one!

Trying to get a idea how long they made the Klunker 5, of ones I've looked at lately the badge build dates have all been between 2608-2808, @Xlobsterman @sarmisluters, anyone else with original badge #'s to add to the list?, also wonder what is the earliest Spit 5, although I think they also ( like the Cal Cruiser ) sent out replacement Spitfire guards that could throw the the real build dates off.

Last edited:
Trying to get a idea how long they made the Klunker 5, of ones I've looked at lately the badge build dates have all been between 2608-2808, @Xlobsterman @sarmisluters, anyone else with original badge #'s to add to the list?, also wonder what is the earliest Spit 5, although I think they also ( like the Cal Cruiser ) sent out replacement Spitfire guards that could throw the the real build dates off.

Here is the serial number and head badge from my KLUNKER 5.

Maybe John from @Schwinn Sales West can share what he remembers about the issue over the KLUNKER 5 bikes?

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

Back