When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major Taylor Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Does any period account of his racing mention the marque(s) he used?

I don't think there is anything like that. Basically you have to see what year the picture is of him on a bike and figure out what bike he's on.
I have put together my own timeline of his racing bikes periodically but not easy. He raced in Europe on several different bikes and here
he was famous on the Iver Johnson. But, he rode so many bikes that I'm still waiting for someone to put together the timeline of bikes like
I have done with Eddie Bald. I can pretty well tell you every bike Bald rode year to year from 1893 to 1903. Waiting on a Taylor aficionado !!

Thanks @corbettclassics.
I knew he came to Europe for races.
One imagines all of the French manufacturers falling over themselves to get him to endorse their machines.

IMG_4300.JPG
close?

Speaking of Major Taylor's bikes, take a look at this one. It was owned by an ex-racer in Australia who owned a bike shop. He passed away in 2010 so who knows where it is now. Checkout the crank. There is an additional chainwheel in front of the crank. I can't think of what it could be other than some sort of tensioner. The previous owner called it a 6 Day outrigger !(?).

Here's the pic.
Screen shot 2017-04-26 at 8.37.05 During Day.png

I'm trying to find the patent info on it. No luck so far. Here's the link to the story about the previous owner from 2004. Incidentally, I think he's being paced by an Orient pacing machine.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/02/1093939072042.html

Back