When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercury Hiawatha??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MTGeorge

Finally riding a big boys bike
I normally wouldn't pick up a repainted AMF middleweight but something about this one caught my eye. I initially hoped it was sporting a Shelby ornament but I quickly realized this head doesn't look like the Shelbys in my collection. I believe it is the Mercury version but my question is this... We're these exclusive to the Hiawatha branded pacemakers or did other Mercury models sport them as well?

20240430_072919.jpg

20240430_073008.jpg

Mercury was once a Murray badge, which they gave up for plain Murray badges, perhaps for better company name recognition for the Cleveland-based company.

Last edited:
So do we think this fender ornament came on other Murray built Hiawathas or are they exclusive to Pacemakers ?

Difficult to say where the Gambles Hiawatha ornament came from, but it does look vintage (some more-shiny ones may have been reproduced).

Below is a thread showing an AMF Roadmaster Skyrider.
Not sure if yours may have a tank from a ladies bicycle, or just the standard version(no tank lights)?

Below is a link to a (Murray) Mercury Pacemaker, fairly deluxe with a different front fender ornament.

Last edited:
That ornament came on 39-42 Murray built and marketed for Gambles Department Store brand name Hiawatha bicycles. Never seen one on a postwar bike. I think someone embellished there bike. Looks cool!

Just to clarify... I am 100% sure it was added to this AMF era middleweight. I am curious if it came on any of the other Hiawatha badged Murray's besides the Pacemaker.

I’m gonna go with no. Reason being these ornaments existed on that style bike because they had tank lights. Shelby’s version was larger on the Arrow. As Gambles sourced from many companies maybe there is a bike out there?

That fender ornament goes on a prewar Hiawatha.most likely a Hiawatha Arrow

For those curious here are side by side pics of the Mercury/Murray and the Shelby versions. While certainly similar at first glance they are different in nearly every detail from the base, to the headdress, to the earpiece, to the neck length and even the facial features.

20240503_101149.jpg

20240503_101145.jpg

20240503_101139.jpg
The Shelby is also slightly larger and they mount at a different angle. If someone has a Hiawatha version of the bike in need of the ornament please reach out so I can either sell you the ornament or buy your bike.

....also I purchased the Skyrider just for this ornament so if someone would like the rest of the bike I am happy to move it along for a bargain.

Back