When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morrow Hub Rebuild Help!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

KevinsBikes

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Can anyone tell by photos of something is worn? I have very poor braking.

e58dc1c622915b7d2c902a9286388a24.jpg

c84982ec5da9adabd365ac22f8523d92.jpg

b1c5e79ae34076b6c229cb0994ff8670.jpg

177e7c8ffcc3298bd75f2b1a1c9f43f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other option is to cut new groves into the shoes, I have seen this done successfully and unsuccessfully.

Basically, scoring new groves into the shoe, helps the brake work better. I replaced the brake sleeve in mine, along with all of the bearings, retarder spring, and clutch ring.

Morrow 1 (1).jpg

Morrow 2 (1).jpg

Morrow 3.jpg

Morrow 4.jpg

Morrow 5.jpg

Morrow 6.jpg

morrow1.gif

Can anyone tell by photos of something is worn? I have very poor braking.

What are you using for grease in your hub? If you used a grease intended for bicycle brakes or white lithium that generally will work well. If you used an automotive wheel bearing grease that could be your reason for poor braking. Modern wheel bearing grease is so good at reducing friction that it can make coaster brakes nearly useless. If you used automotive wheel bearing grease in your hub, at the very least, clean the grease off the brake shoe hardware and from inside the brake hub shell then replace it with white lithium or any other grease intended for bicycle brakes which has fewer friction reducing properties.

What are you using for grease in your hub? If you used a grease intended for bicycle brakes or white lithium that generally will work well. If you used an automotive wheel bearing grease that could be your reason for poor braking. Modern wheel bearing grease is so good at reducing friction that it can make coaster brakes nearly useless. If you used automotive wheel bearing grease in your hub, at the very least, clean the grease off the brake shoe hardware and from inside the brake hub shell then replace it with white lithium or any other grease intended for bicycle brakes which has fewer friction reducing properties.
I usually use an all-purpose Park Tool grease, and add a little oil as I'm closing up the hub. I've done 20 hubs or so without issue, but most are ND and Bendix. I just built a second set of wheels with a Morrow hub and it brakes just fine after the rebuild.

It also could be that the axle
E5CAF459-27E4-4E52-A5D7-F98EB90CAEF2.jpeg

C8B0E82D-75D3-4DA6-8811-BCBAADE540DD.jpeg

end assembly- cone, spring, retarder washer and axle bushing have moved away from the brake sleeve assembly. After assembling first parts ( pic 1) slide brake sleeve over axle, ( pic 2) the gap should be 1/32 - 1/16” max. If not, then the axle assembly should be tighter together.

Back