eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Wheeler

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 2, 2016
Toronto
This'appeard a fun feat of engineering to watch!
I'm already looking forward to the ride video Don!

I believe two wheels and a set brakes are definitely better than three! That's been my experience.

Here's HOW I KNOW!

As a brave (=stupid) 11 year old Stunt Boy I rolled a 3 wheeled 'Racing Bed' that I 'borrowed' from my neighbors front yard.( Raced by university medical students ironically. You'll see.)
It was a typical old hospital bed, tubular metal head board, foot board, side rails
Add 3 tall skinny 10 speed wheels and steering via using the bars to fork of said 10 speed up front.
Oh, and did I mention NO BRAKES! ZERO!

The machine looked like it could be so much fun to push around a bit, so off my pals and I rolled, each taking turns driving.

Jump ahead 15 minutes to the really fun part....

As dusk set in and curfew neared, I set off on one last ride..

...Whizzing right past my trusted spotters on their way towards the street below to fulfill their duties as safety men at the street end of the newly paved downhill
laneway, I sreamred fearlessly..something about Evel Kneivel....
(It was 1976 after all)

So, I figured I would simply have to do a fishtail when I got to the road at the end of lane to slow her down and cruise to rest on the gentle upward slope of the rapidly approaching street.(a wise last second solution you'd think, right?)
The plan did not come off quite as I had envisioned.

My vision in reality included Alot of Sparks and Upside Down Stuff as the bed tumbled over and over with 'The Pilot' aboard for the whole experience.

After I came to from my short nap on the street and somehow got home for some First Aid and then Mom arrived from work shortly after and took me right back to the hospital where she had just finished a long shift herself.(is that more irony or what?)

The Silver Lining of this true tale is that all the girls at school wanted to sign and draw on my casts! AND...
The super cute, guilt ridden, bikini clad nursing student next door let me hang out poolside with her for the rest of summer!!!!

* Okay, I'll just be quiet now and pay full attention and envy ingenuity and craftsmanship.

Nashman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Oct 2, 2016
Winnipeg, Canada
This'appeard a fun feat of engineering to watch!
I'm already looking forward to the ride video Don!

I believe two wheels and a set brakes are definitely better than three! That's been my experience.

Here's HOW I KNOW!

As a brave (=stupid) 11 year old Stunt Boy I rolled a 3 wheeled 'Racing Bed' that I 'borrowed' from my neighbors front yard.( Raced by university medical students ironically. You'll see.)
It was a typical old hospital bed, tubular metal head board, foot board, side rails
Add 3 tall skinny 10 speed wheels and steering via using the bars to fork of said 10 speed up front.
Oh, and did I mention NO BRAKES! ZERO!

The machine looked like it could be so much fun to push around a bit, so off my pals and I rolled, each taking turns driving.

Jump ahead 15 minutes to the really fun part....

As dusk set in and curfew neared, I set off on one last ride..

...Whizzing right past my trusted spotters on their way towards the street below to fulfill their duties as safety men at the street end of the newly paved downhill
laneway, I sreamred fearlessly..something about Evel Kneivel....
(It was 1976 after all)

So, I figured I would simply have to do a fishtail when I got to the road at the end of lane to slow her down and cruise to rest on the gentle upward slope of the rapidly approaching street.(a wise last second solution you'd think, right?)
The plan did not come off quite as I had envisioned.

My vision in reality included Alot of Sparks and Upside Down Stuff as the bed tumbled over and over with 'The Pilot' aboard for the whole experience.

After I came to from my short nap on the street and somehow got home for some First Aid and then Mom arrived from work shortly after and took me right back to the hospital where she had just finished a long shift herself.(is that more irony or what?)

The Silver Lining of this true tale is that all the girls at school wanted to sign and draw on my casts! AND...
The super cute, guilt ridden, bikini clad nursing student next door let me hang out poolside with her for the rest of summer!!!!

* Okay, I'll just be quiet now and pay full attention and envy ingenuity and craftsmanship.
I wonder how the nursing student would look now in a bikini? Ha!! Probably as good as me in a speedo! Great story, thanks for sharing!

OldSkipTooth

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Aug 6, 2015
Sebastopol, United States
Yep! Welding is truly an art form! Also, a clean surface makes a better weld. As you can see, I neglected that detail. Ha! I am pretty sure they will hold, just aint pretty! Who is going to be looking at the welds anyhow, it's a bed bike! lol
My dad was a welder in the 60’s and 70’s, large equipment hard facing, it was brutal welding!

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

DonChristie

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Nov 4, 2009
Waxhaw, N. Carolina
www.facebook.com
3D651F18-0470-4C04-B267-AF1F7235660A.jpeg bed.jpg
0578FE50-5CD0-4175-BADF-0D1EB84262D7.jpeg  bed.jpg

gary-cooper-bicycle-36 .jpg

…………………….Doood … I digz your build but are
......…...………….you gonna be able to pedal it ?
Thanks Patrick! That Bottom bracket will have a planetary sprocket in it running on the chain. I plan to weld another BB in the right place. I was going to cut the lower BB out but thought of structural integrity so I left it. Figured it would be best to leave and glamorize it!

Balloonoob

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jan 24, 2019
Longmont Colorado
Thanks Patrick! That Bottom bracket will have a planetary sprocket in it running on the chain. I plan to weld another BB in the right place. I was going to cut the lower BB out but thought of structural integrity so I left it. Figured it would be best to leave and glamorize it!
R u going skiptooth? Seems like a lot of chain. I love this idea. Btw we are all anxiously watching this build for updates. Looks like it's going to ride like it's on rails. Ok that's one. Everyone gets one bad joke per thread.

razinhellcustomz

I live for the CABE
May 28, 2018
kiel wisconsin
Tonite I had some time to work and think about the bed bike build! I cut a hole for the top headtube and thought, what the hell am I doing? I mean, this is kind of a crazy build! Nonetheless, I paid no attention to common sense! Heres the hole for the top headset and it I laid it out to get a feel for the general design. Im thinking to use the curved bars of the Huffman as vertical supports to match the curve in the frame. Im also thinking a planetary type sprocket in the back bottom bracket frame half rolling on the chain.

C742F3CF-0F66-43C6-8BA7-A93DC9E3A0CB.jpeg

1766072E-7A2E-4EE6-B515-0F32779B4A34.jpeg

37007B76-7B8A-475B-A7C9-49B577DD6552.jpeg
So far ,So good. Good luck. Razin.

Reactions: DonChristie

Classic Cool Rides

Finally riding a big boys bike
Dec 2, 2016
Duluth, GA
Hell, wait til i jump it! Lol!
Hey Don! I think you have enough extra Bed Rails (tubing) to make some COOL wheelie-bars !! Come on Don .... Do It !!

And just an observation (suggestion) the TORQUE that will exist in the BB shell you have mounted using 2 frame tubes MIGHT need more (extra) stiffening tubing rails (4 total) ...... OR a "plate gusset" BMX-style around the BB shell ..... I just know the massive muscles in your legs COULD possibly twist that BB where it is located without more stiffening/support .... the Torque you generate will be STRONG ..... just my 3 cents worth;)

CHEERS !! CCR Dave

This ad goes away when you register for an account!