When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help dating my Elgin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Wildeman

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have what I believe to be a 1939 or 1940 Elgin girls bike. I am hoping the experts here can set me straight. I have noticed that some Elgins in these years had a solid sprocket and some a slotted one like mine. Which one is older? Also when did they have the neck shroud?

My Green Bike.jpg

Mike is almost correct, my bride has a very minty 1941 ladies Elgin Deluxe Sport that she lets me take photos of and ride occasionally.

By the color combination, I would say yours could be a 1941 also.

Flip it upside down and let us see the serial number.
D is 1939
E is 1940
F is 1941

My neighbor just got back to me with the number. It is E67393 and he said there is a G6 stamped on another area of the bottom bracket. So it looks like a 1940 from the information posted above. As always, I am in much appreciation!

Roderick
Roderick,

G6 is the frame code, as to when the frame was made, June 1940. My frame code is G10

Hope you enjoy riding it when you get home, they roll like a Cadillac. (and weigh like one also.)

1584292208170.png

Regarding the “E” and “G” codes; and the triangular frame structure at the seat post cluster, reflects Westfield built bicycles; versus the Murray products shown with yoke joints in the black and white catalogs.
Both manufacturers supplied bicycles to Sears about that time.
Not sure if it was Sears who imposed the same serial number prefix letters (E) for the same years (1940) or if it was coincidental; (maybe not if one maker needed the extra letter?)

Last edited:
Hi All,

Nice bike. I'll confirm the June 1940 date is correct for the frame, and built up just after.

Regarding the “E” and “G” codes; and the triangular frame structure at the seat post cluster, reflects Westfield built bicycles; versus the Murray products shown with yoke joints in the black and white catalogs.
Both manufacturers supplied bicycles to Sears about that time.
Not sure if it was Sears who imposed the same serial number prefix letters (E) for the same years (1940) or if it was coincidental; (maybe not if one maker needed the extra letter?)

Hi,

I don't know about Murray, but for Westfield, the E = 1940 was a follow on from a lettering date system they had been using since around 1910, well before they started producing bikes for Elgin.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back