When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil filler port on Sturmey-Archer hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
Is the filler port functional? I’ve watched several videos on rebuilding Sturmey-Archer 3 speeds and they never do anything with the port.

32e4a4936096d7a424c5ddcce6c20b96.jpg
42b87013e2e885cb887fc5fab762af32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are useful- just keep up with how much oil is leaking out the ends. With good grease in the bearings you should not leak much. If the hub is really neglected the oil is keeping the bearings lubricated as it leaks out. A total loss lubrication system, and you really need that filler port!

Those ports are definitely important. Sheldon Brown's site has some great information about maintaining SA hubs. Use a light oil. Not regular 3-in1. A 20 weight is ideal. I just had a thread on here about the SA hubs: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/de-gooing-a-sturmey-archer-3-speed-hub.125450/
Maybe you'll find it helpful. I just regreased the bearings on the SA hub of my 69 Raleigh Sports and my 72 Raleigh Sports. Really happy with how they turned out.

Last edited:
Found this little gem at an estate sale. It's mostly for show. I use a small pumper style oil can with a flexible hose. It's a lot easier.
image.jpg

Is the filler port functional? I’ve watched several videos on rebuilding Sturmey-Archer 3 speeds and they never do anything with the port.

View attachment 759155View attachment 759156

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are important if the hub works fine and you don't need/want to overhaul it. Just a few drops of oil infrequently but really depending on mileage. But do not over lubricate or the oil flow will constantly seep out and migrate out and eventually run down the spokes to the rim. I had a customer who always used too much oil in the ports on the front and rear hubs and his wheels were always a mess. Once they are overfilled, the oil flows out forever.

Back