When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oxalic Acid Bath Help

-
BFtD_Nanas_Hollywood.jpg

My Nana's 1965 Schwinn Hollywood is the bike I'd really like to try the oxalic acid bath on. It's a fully-functional bike, but I wanted to clean it up for her and replace the dry-rotted tires. I also have a special set of accessories I want to install on it as a nice surprise! I'm just concerned that the OA bath might mess up the pink paint....
BftD_Stirrup_the_Hornets_Nest1.jpg

This Western Flyer Sonic Flyer probably just needs a wash and wax more than anything, but the wheels are super rusty. It does have some rust on the painted parts that I'd like to tone down if I can, but if blue paint can get damaged by oxalic acid, then I might just skip on the OA bath.
The_Old_West.jpg

My AMF-built Western Flyer Sonic Flyer is the bike I'd really like to shine back up if I can. I tried some rubbing compound on it, but it only did so much. I'm just afraid that the OA bath would do more harm than good to the paint. It doesn't look bad, but I know it could look so much better.

yeah, i wouldnt use it on that pink chainguard at all. The writing on those guards is like chalk, and just wipes off if not careful. I am sure that white paint will come out looking great. I have used CLR on a white bike, and it turned out great.

yeah, i wouldnt use it on that pink chainguard at all. The writing on those guards is like chalk, and just wipes off if not careful. I am sure that white paint will come out looking great. I have used CLR on a white bike, and it turned out great.
Yeah, I've already learned how easy it is to wipe off the graphics on the Schwinn chain guards... Do you think the OA bath would mess up the pink stripes and other details, though? Have you ever used Metal Rescue? Do you think that could work on the chain guard?

Rusto .... concur ... bikefromthedead did a phenomenal job of searching older posts and , pulling all together.

then we got the some additional insights from really experienced guys , like I wish learned the easier way... about “ chualk like “ paints and graphics ive melted.

Several bike types I’ve done , graphics / paint melt like chalk ( even from mild degreasers) : one that comes to mind is Checkerboard pugeot u08s have that paint / graphic weakness , but their are numerous and in the case of schwinns the underlying paint is incredibly durable in your era and forward , just not the graphics noted above .

Hope we keep alive this thread with experiences with OA bath and keep learning more from old hands

Older thread I know, but just sayin this is gold thread and thanks yall for putting this up here for posterity / noobers like me 👍
Thanks RustoLiam! Glad to hear!
Rusto .... concur ... bikefromthedead did a phenomenal job of searching older posts and , pulling all together.

then we got the some additional insights from really experienced guys , like I wish learned the easier way... about “ chualk like “ paints and graphics ive melted.

Several bike types I’ve done , graphics / paint melt like chalk ( even from mild degreasers) : one that comes to mind is Checkerboard pugeot u08s have that paint / graphic weakness , but their are numerous and in the case of schwinns the underlying paint is incredibly durable in your era and forward , just not the graphics noted above .

Hope we keep alive this thread with experiences with OA bath and keep learning more from old hands
Thank you Lamont! I'll admit, I still have yet to try an OA bath on any of my bikes so far, but hopefully all the information I found and all the insight the more experienced guys shared will be helpful not just for me, but for everyone wanting to learn how to do an oxalic acid bath.

Thanks to folks like you, older threads like this one will continue to be active. Thanks for taking the time to check it out and leaving a comment!

Thanks RustoLiam! Glad to hear!

Thank you Lamont! I'll admit, I still have yet to try an OA bath on any of my bikes so far, but hopefully all the information I found and all the insight the more experienced guys shared will be helpful not just for me, but for everyone wanting to learn how to do an oxalic acid bath.

Thanks to folks like you, older threads like this one will continue to be active. Thanks for taking the time to check it out and leaving a comment!

Nothing wrong with taking time before diving in on bikes you care about...

Reference made to the “new to me “solution by guzzieworks : how to clean spokes :

Handy container for wheel soak : the water heater drain pan : great solution for OA as well

Back