When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible Huffman tribute bike…

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This is a WWII bicycle, which was manufactured after many of the War Production Board ( WPB ) / Office of Price Administration ( OPA ) wartime bicycle production restrictions had been lifted in Sept., 1944. I will not list those wartime restrictions or those which were lifted at this time. However, as a civilian wartime bicycle it's history as well as it's structure should without question be preserved as such. I would not change this bike in the attempt to turn it into something that it was never intended to be. Nuff said !

Regards,
Bill

Okay...you raise an interesting point. Let's say I opt to leave it 'as is'. What would this bike have looked like when it rolled off the assembly line? Obviously the paint would have been pristine - looks like it was originally a dark red with white trim and pinstripes. The seat is clearly not original to the bike. Being an absolute beginner in this realm, what saddle would be appropriate? Did the bike in its original configuration have truss rods? While the forks that came with the bike are dated '44, the frame itself is apparently of a later manufacture based on one of the posts above. Again, with the addition of accurate/authentic/proper parts that would have originally been part of this bike, would you (collectively) leave it as-is, or would you consider a restoration paint job, etc. in an effort to present an example of what it was? Does anyone have images, or links to advertisement of the period that might show a Huffman Western Flyer from this timeframe? Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

-Guinness

Okay...you raise an interesting point. Let's say I opt to leave it 'as is'. What would this bike have looked like when it rolled off the assembly line? Obviously the paint would have been pristine - looks like it was originally a dark red with white trim and pinstripes. The seat is clearly not original to the bike. Being an absolute beginner in this realm, what saddle would be appropriate? Did the bike in its original configuration have truss rods? While the forks that came with the bike are dated '44, the frame itself is apparently of a later manufacture based on one of the posts above. Again, with the addition of accurate/authentic/proper parts that would have originally been part of this bike, would you (collectively) leave it as-is, or would you consider a restoration paint job, etc. in an effort to present an example of what it was? Does anyone have images, or links to advertisement of the period that might show a Huffman Western Flyer from this timeframe? Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

-Guinness
Check out this thread...
Thread 'Prewar War Time Columbia 26" mens balloon bike' https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/prewar-war-time-columbia-26-mens-balloon-bike.178877/

Very cool bike!

I would not paint this bike. I personally wouldn't worry about getting the absolute correct seat for the bike.... Just something old that looks the part better. It's hard to say what it may have had on it when it was sold at a western auto store. I sure like the look of this firestone badged Huffman bike. Listed as a OG paint 1945/46 Huffman wartime civilian $725 SOLD. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/mlc-bikes-that-can-be-available-for-free-delivery.150497/

download.jpeg-4.jpg

As many have stated, the bike appears to be mostly original with the exception of the saddle. You can clean it lightly and put a high grade wax on it/change the saddle and call it a day. Getting the bike professionally repainted will cost more than the bike is worth. Doing an amateur repaint will devalue the bike in my opinion.

Last edited:
Guinness,

You must understand that at this time, late WWII Fall of 1944 through 1945, the parts that were allowed on bicycles were changing. Parts that were blacked- out between approx. April 1942 through August 1944 were now being chromed again. Parts that would have been prohibited during that same period such as chain guards, fender lights and kickstands were again being manufactured. Bicycle weight limits were being lifted to allow for the reintroduction of balloon tire models. To make things more confusing there would still have been a sizable quantity of black finished parts in the stock of certain bicycle producers and their suppliers such as Columbia and Huffman, both which were permitted to manufacture military and civilian bikes throughout the war. That is why, on some of the bicycles manufactured after Sept., 1944 and in some cases into 1946 you can see a mix of leftover blackout parts and new chrome parts on these bikes. It would have been quite feasible during this time to have seen two or three Huffman bikes of the same model but each with a different mix of blacked - out and chrome parts as an example until the manufacturer either used up the remaining stocks of black finish parts or paid the cost to have these parts chromed. This being the case it would be very difficult if not impossible to say with certainty whether any particular bike from this very short time frame were absolutely from the factory accurate. If it were my bike, I would take the bike apart clean, de-grease and re-lubricate movable parts such as hub and brake components, BB and crank components, frame head parts and chain. I would then re-assemble the bike lightly clean the frame and sheet metal, test ride it and enjoy it. The seat most likely is non-original. I would look for a period '' Persons'' or '' Mesinger'' seat either of which could have been used on your bike from the factory. Also, I would absolutely not tamper with what appears to be the original finish as it looks fine. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bill

What you’re describing is a genre fairly common in WWII reenactment. Take a vehicle that’ll pass at twenty feet and convert it over for field use, thus saving wear and tear on the original. I’ve done a couple of conversions using seventies Raleigh Tourists, turning them into pre-WWII civilian bikes for British impressions like Women’s Land Army, etc.

This is getting way more prevalent as certain vehicles get too valuable to take into the mud. Nobody doing Weremacht takes an original BMW R75 into the field. They convert a Ural instead.

Hi,

It's a personal opinion, but I don't see the interest in turning an original WW2 (but not military) bicycle into a fake WW2 bicycle. There are plenty of anaonymous frames that would be better to use.

Military personnel certainly didn't rely on the military to supply them with bicycles, only certain trades would have been entitled to them. There have been a few examples of wartime or prewar civilian bikes with officer's names stencilled on them, so these were doubtless personal aquisitions.

Incidentally, this is the same bike as originally found:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Being brand new to the hobby of vintage bikes, I value all the opinions that have been expressed with regard to my initial query. I initially set-out with the intention of obtaining a G529 bicycle thinking I could enjoy it both at home and take it with me to the various air shows and living history events I regularly attend. The relative rarity of "original" bicycles (to say nothing of their price) quickly served to adjust my thinking, and like many participants in the hobby of reenacting, I started thinking in terms of an accurate reproduction. By and large, within the hobby of reenacting, most of the uniforms are reproductions, as is much of the equipment people utilize. With the passage of time, more and more of the "original" things that participants routinely brought into the field are becoming far too scarce/rare/valuable to subject to the wear and tear most events subject them to. On top of that, I've known many people who have started with a "base foundation"; say an original rifle stock, or Jeep framework, or what have you, who have then used a combination of original and reproduction parts to assemble a highly accurate reproduction. These aren't built to fool, trick, or defraud the public or would-be buyers. Rather, I think in most cases, they are used because the originals simply aren't available or are far too rare to bring out. They are, for lack of a better word, props with which to participate and/or encourage the beginnings of a dialog - why something matters, or how something was used.

Such was my thinking at least when I purchased the bicycle I did. It was/is a Huffman frame, of the appropriate time period. With the addition of some parts - be they original or reproduction, and a proper paint job, I thought I would have not only the bike I could enjoy, but that would also serve as a preliminary "talking point" to spectators. Ah, but then I began reading and posting here...

I've come to realize however, that what I in fact obtained is, in many respects, perhaps more-interesting than simply a G519, or even a very good reproduction/tribute bike. For the time being, my plan is to simply clean it up and enjoy it. But the other thing I've come to realize is that this hobby isn't really all that different than most others. I'm sure if I were to take the time to look, there are other forums in which members argue the comparative worth of restoring, say a '57 Chevy to it's original glory versus leaving it in it's current condition, or some other group debating the merits of restoring war-era helmets to newly-issued condition - wait a sec, that is my group. Heck, I once saw two elderly volunteers at a museum I worked for come to blows over what constituted "real" chicken pot pie. (for the uninformed, "real" chicken pot pie doesn't involve crust - just big old square noodles). Sorry, I'm rambling here.

Again, the opinions, thoughts, and advice this forum have offered are very much appreciated and considered. The bike - a Huffman-made early '45 frame and late '44 dated forks, badged as a Western Flyer, will remain just as it is (maybe cleaned-up just a bit and given a nice coat of wax) and will be enjoyed to the fullest.

Cheers,

-Guinness

Back