When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real or made to look old sign?

-
As far as the font being a little different it's a legal issue, my buddy makes fiberglass car body's and in order to avoid a copyright infringement he has to alter a few things so it is not an exact copy. He learned that the hard way. Most of the signs I've come across seemed to have had some damage to the front in its 50 or 100 years of hanging around a shop or building. They used to use old signs to plug holes in barn walls and roofs, so a nail hole here and there and patchwork rust stains ( all different) could be the tell tail sign of a real sign. But be careful the repopers are getting good at their fakes.

Antique Gasoline Sign Sells for $1.5 Million, Setting World Record

Note the authenticity & provenance!

As I stated before I am not educated enough in old signs. What I think the real problem is though is not many people, buyers or sellers, are. Two different major swap meets couple years ago I talked with sellers. They stated how you have to be careful because of the fakes. What is funny I did a little research on signs each had that I thought were cool and am convinced they were both selling some fakes. I was at a local garage sale where a re pop beer sign was hung and overheard seller say he was told a fake, but still thinks it is real. I just happened to be familiar with that sign because a friend was looking for one and saw one at a private museum that was real and so easy to tell his was fake, besides the fact it was a coveted high dollar sign, which didn't fit style of the garage sale guy. Gotta do research ! Us bike guys know that, right !

So what is the definition of Vintage? ( the time it takes to ship from India! ) pretty lax on Ebay, back of the 7up sign and I guess they are too cheap to use a hot girl to distract you from the fake!, bad fake sign and BAD fake hot girl!
1662525165657.png

Back of the 7up sign and I guess they are too cheap to use a hot girl to distract you from the fake!, bad fake sign and BAD fake hot girl!View attachment 1692042

I wonder if she was holding that sign when the IRM was being sprayed on. That's Instant Rust Maker, in a squirt bottle on isle 24 at Walmart. Maybe they should get some in a spray can so it doesn't drip down like on this one.

Reactions: mrg
Looks like the real deal to me ! I know mine are real because i've had them for 40 years...

Back