eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

rennfaron

Finally riding a big boys bike
Sep 19, 2018
Austin, Texas
I wouldn't expose the mirror to anything, not even OA and that stuff is pretty soft on things. What I found is that sometimes a film can form on metal and other parts in the solution. On metal it can usually be easy to scrub / buff / polish away. Sometimes a haze can stick around. I would be concerned it would dull the finish or something and then you can't get it back. You can always try and hang it in a solution or support it upright so the mirror sticks out. I have done that for some stuff.

Reactions: Boris

TieDye

I live for the CABE
Aug 24, 2015
Henderson, MI, United States
Will the Evaporust harm the reflective lens?
I would not use evaporust for the reflector. I have seen where it seeps in under any imperfection and ruins the reflectiveness. I have had good luck using a product called Scratch Doctor, in an orange bottle. It is a super fine polishing compound, gentler than Turtle Wax polishing compound, etc. Use a super soft rag and go very easy with it.

Reactions: rennfaron and Boris

rennfaron

Sep 19, 2018
Austin, Texas
I wonder if you could coat the mirror with petroleum jelly or bike grease to limit the amount of exposure of the rust eater... Then you could wipe the stuff off the mirror and use soap to break it down then polish it up. It would be an experiment, but just a thought.

Boris

Fat tired old rider
Feb 16, 2008
Portland, OR 97206
I wonder if you could coat the mirror with petroleum jelly or bike grease to limit the amount of exposure of the rust eater... Then you could wipe the stuff off the mirror and use soap to break it down then polish it up. It would be an experiment, but just a thought.
Good idea! I usta' have a spare beater reflective lens that I coulda' done this with, but said, "I'll never need this", and got rid of it.
Don't want to risk this light, so I'll just make sure that I avoid contact between the lens and the Evaporust. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: TieDye

rennfaron

Sep 19, 2018
Austin, Texas
"I'll never need this", and got rid of it.
Yes, isn't that always the case right when you get rid of something...

If you do it, make sure it's a thick layer. In using OA it still seems to have a "degreasing" effect and breaks down old grease some, but not fully. I assume evaporust is similar. The only other stuff I have used was WD40's version of evaporust. If you left the metal in there for too long it starts turning it black, which scrubs off mostly. So the thicker the better, so it doesn't break it down or penetrate into it.

spoker

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Mar 3, 2011
Minneapolis, United States
Yes, isn't that always the case right when you get rid of something...

If you do it, make sure it's a thick layer. In using OA it still seems to have a "degreasing" effect and breaks down old grease some, but not fully. I assume evaporust is similar. The only other stuff I have used was WD40's version of evaporust. If you left the metal in there for too long it starts turning it black, which scrubs off mostly. So the thicker the better, so it doesn't break it down or penetrate into it.
if it does go 2 the hobby shop and get a sheet of chrome foil and recover it,chrome foil is used to add chrome to model car trim

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
I would clean the reflector to a "brilliant shine" and the spray it with Plasti Dip to seal it off for the Evap O soak. Then peel the Plasti Dip off when it ready to assemble.

rustystone2112

I live for the CABE
Feb 7, 2014
IRVINE CA.
First i would replace / repair the missing battery contact so the battery will stay in . Second, I wouldn't soak a complete light in any corrosive or any other liquid for fear of dissolving the fiber grounding shoulder washers. I personally would sand , glass bead or other media blast it, and mask off the reflector .

then8j

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 6, 2010
Walnut Creek CA
Just do it. Coat everything and throw caution to the wind, like a teenage.
take pictures as it smokes and bubbles.
you Don’t have much to loose but lots to gain

TieDye

I live for the CABE
Aug 24, 2015
Henderson, MI, United States
if it does go 2 the hobby shop and get a sheet of chrome foil and recover it,chrome foil is used to add chrome to model car trim
Sounds easy but it's hard to apply it on a curved surface without ripples or seams.

Reactions: rennfaron
This ad goes away when you register for an account!