When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Corvette

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
1958 Schwinn Reporter:

"Sturmey-Archer SW hubs will not be available after 10/24/58. Models which used this hub will have Schwinn Approved hubs installed instead. The SW will be available again on 1/1/59."

The availability date must have been pushed to a much later date for some reason.
I believe Sturmey-Archer dropped the SW after 1958, so it sounds like there was a failure to communicate. I probably need to get Hadland's book, that might have some information.

Last edited:
Could have been a bike shop replacement for a broken other hub. In the last 61 years who knows when it happened. Roger
If they replaced it with a Schwinn Approved Austrian hub, then it had to be in the late '50's or early '60's, I don't think they were available very long. It could have been used when it was swapped in, but I think that shifter is also Austrian, and pretty rare. The oval version seems to be more common.

ccbba2b2792cfce6379fac628d07483e.jpg

0584dfe77a7c535bfa0b8b9a69f5f37e.jpg

Here’s a picture of the hub and shifter after some cleaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool shifter! Can't say if I've ever seen one like that.
I've only seen one or two others, and only in pictures, and I'm not even certain it's Austrian, but if anybody knows the story, feel free to share!

Was the crash bar on the original seat transplanted to that new seat? :cool:

Back