When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serial number

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Graffet

Look Ma, No Hands!
I can make out what the serial number on my bikes frame says but its super faded from being sanded and repainted at some point. Any way I can restore it?

4A9455EF-3014-4752-B6F2-0907DCE9E3CB.jpeg

A2FA638F-51A4-44B6-BFD8-8465A3C36847.jpeg

I can make out what the serial number on my bikes frame says but its super faded from being sanded and repainted at some point. Any way I can restore it?

View attachment 1811525

View attachment 1811526
No way to restore the number but if you remove the paint chemically so as not to reduce it even more you may have some luck. I have taken white rubbing compound and smeared it across the number and at times it has given enough contrast to make out the number. Looks like a Schwinn the first two characters should be enough to date the frame. The numbers moved to the drop out in 1950 I believe so that helps a bit. How about a pic of the whole bike.

No way to restore the number but if you remove the paint chemically so as not to reduce it even more you may have some luck. I have taken white rubbing compound and smeared it across the number and at times it has given enough contrast to make out the number. Looks like a Schwinn the first two characters should be enough to date the frame. The numbers moved to the drop out in 1950 I believe so that helps a bit. How about a pic of the whole bike.
Hi thanks for your reply, I can actually make out the serial number (E839430) I just want to get a good enough picture that I can send to people when they tell me its a 1995 phantom. The fenders and the key cylinder maybe the seat(?) are the only reproduction parts on it and it has been repainted at some point.

A00F4F83-CAE8-4770-85D7-C9C065052B8A.jpeg

3550846A-279F-4982-A513-BF3F9DC362DD.jpeg

If it’s actually paint and not powder coat you could mask off around the number and brush on paint stripper. If it’s fairly fresh paint it should curl up in a half a second.

Hi thanks for your reply, I can actually make out the serial number (E839430) I just want to get a good enough picture that I can send to people when they tell me its a 1995 phantom. The fenders and the key cylinder maybe the seat(?) are the only reproduction parts on it and it has been repainted at some point.

View attachment 1811536

View attachment 1811537
Yes you will get a lot of questions about the originality of that one I believe the frame to be May of 1958 . That tank is a repop as well as the sprocket. The pedals look funky what is going on with that end cap?

Last edited:
If it’s actually paint and not powder coat you could mask off around the number and brush on paint stripper. If it’s fairly fresh paint it should curl up in a half a second.
I did that and the serial number is still barely recognisable.

Back