When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Facts About A Schwinn Serial Number

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you have a very late 54 November serial on your Spitfire it may actually be a 1955 model. If it was a 56 serial number then the Spitfire was a Middleweight or a ballooner. 56 was the only year where there were these two choices on a Spitfire.

I believe the Opal colors were introduced on the 1954 models but not 110% positive on that. Opal was available in 54 and I've never seen a 53 model in Opal or seen any word of Opal mentioned prior to 54.

The serial numbers were used to identify a bike when lost or stolen and for proof of ownership. Also on Schwinn's warranty paperwork they "said" a serial number is required. I know for sure that at least in the 60's a Schwinn dealer was required to keep records of all the bikes they sell. Name of owner, serial number and model of bike at the minimum.

Hope this answered all the questions.

Last edited:
I always am a bit suspect when guys say they are looking for a Schwinn built

on the same day they were born.

I always am a bit suspect when guys say they are looking for a Schwinn built

on the same day they were born.

Yah, and I hope this doesn't spoil their dream. Maybe they can find out what day they were conceived and then match that date with the serial number date which was the conception date of a Schwinn bike. :)

Just the facts, Ma'am

This process of bike dating; conception dating is way too much work!! Guess a bike owner has a 9 month leeway once you get some of the DNA facts in!! Let's just go out and ride our bikes. They love us just the same!

This process of bike dating; conception dating is way too much work!! Guess a bike owner has a 9 month leeway once you get some of the DNA facts in!! Let's just go out and ride our bikes. They love us just the same!

The serial number game is really lots of fun and very interesting along with being a key factor in the correct identification. So is your Spitfire a ballooner or a middleweight? And is it a Nov. 27 1954 or later number making it a 1955 model.

Last edited:
The serial number game is really lots of fun and very interesting along with being a key factor in the correct identification. So is your Spitfire a ballooner or a middleweight? And is it a Nov. 27 1954 or later number making it a 1955 model, the last year for the Spitfire ballooner? See how fun this can be?

Im just only concerned with year... I could care less what day it was finally put together... My two rupees... I will never know what day for certain anyways since both my bikes fall into the mysterious void of numbers.. Pre war and early post.

Im just only concerned with year... I could care less what day it was finally put together... My two rupees... I will never know what day for certain anyways since both my bikes fall into the mysterious void of numbers.. Pre war and early post.

So you are not one of the many looking for a Birthday bike? lol In some cases depending on the era and bike, the serial numbers won't even give you the year a bike was built. Since you are into the pre war and early post war models it will be very difficult to determine a time frame. Is Rec the only one keeping a SN record on those bikes?

The facts about a Schwinn serial number--there is one! It amazes me how we cycle through running down the same rabbit holes over and over again. Now can some one tell me should I restore my Sears Free Spirit ten speed or maintain the patina finish? V/r Shawn

Then how come so many members here on this site state a bike they are selling or have was built on the day the serial number was recorded? Maybe try running thru a gopher hole instead of a rabbit hole.

So you are not one of the many looking for a Birthday bike? lol In some cases depending on the era and bike, the serial numbers won't even give you the year a bike was built. Since you are into the pre war and early post war models it will be very difficult to determine a time frame. Is Rec the only one keeping a SN record on those bikes?

I can say for certainty that my two bikes are very identifiable into which year they had been produced.. 41 H serial first year deluxe chainguard and new style springer arms along with the stamped crank.. and the 46 with its A serial and other very identifiable early postwar features :)

Back