When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on applying waterslide decals.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ZE52414

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
So here in a bit I'm going for my first attempt on waterslide decals on my iver tank. Any tips would be great. I've heard this could get real tricky real fast. Thanks in advance.

I'll post here what I tell folks that buy my decals:

Cut out the decal, paper and all, till you have an irregularly shaped piece of the paper with the decal on it. I don't trim too, too close because I don't want to mess with corralling little bits. But cut away the paper you aren't going to use.

Follow any instructions you have for the soaking very closely. The ones I make take only around 10 or fifteen seconds in the water, and it seems like the decal holds together better that way. Then place the decal - backing paper and all - in position and slide the paper out from under it, gently holding the decal itself close to where you want it to be.

You kinda have to manage the whole thing with one hand while pulling out the paper with the other - I found it works well to slide about an eighth to a quarter of an inch off the backing and onto the position first, then withdraw the rest of the paper, while gently holding the decal film itself in place

You can't move it around too much after that. Some, but not a lot of play, enough to get everything straight and in position. I like to have a wet, medium (1/2 inch flat watercolor brush) brush to use to gently smooth out any bubbles. And that's it.

I'll post here what I tell folks that buy my decals:

Cut out the decal, paper and all, till you have an irregularly shaped piece of the paper with the decal on it. I don't trim too, too close because I don't want to mess with corralling little bits. But cut away the paper you aren't going to use.

Follow any instructions you have for the soaking very closely. The ones I make take only around 10 or fifteen seconds in the water, and it seems like the decal holds together better that way. Then place the decal - backing paper and all - in position and slide the paper out from under it, gently holding the decal itself close to where you want it to be.

You kinda have to manage the whole thing with one hand while pulling out the paper with the other - I found it works well to slide about an eighth to a quarter of an inch off the backing and onto the position first, then withdraw the rest of the paper, while gently holding the decal film itself in place

You can't move it around too much after that. Some, but not a lot of play, enough to get everything straight and in position. I like to have a wet, medium (1/2 inch flat watercolor brush) brush to use to gently smooth out any bubbles. And that's it.
I appreciate the info. I will try exactly what you said! Wish me luck!! :)

You can also use a product called Solvaset. It helps decals conform to not flat shapes. Apply with a soft brush . Resist the temptation to touch if decals look like they are puckering up. They WILL smooth out. Used it for years on model cars with great results.

53644816077__A3FC6ABD-0F85-41CE-A61B-B576194FC688.JPG
This tank is just there long enough to find a OG one :).

Decals aren't perfect, but aren't ripped or torn so that's a plus :). Thanks for the good advice!

I'll add a little to barracuda's instructions. I use warm water and never soak more than the 15 seconds. After soaking I set the decal down on the countertop for a minute and then I make sure the decal has completely separated from the paper. If you can move the complete decal slightly on the paper it's ready to install. If the complete decal does not slide on the paper let it set a little bit longer and it will eventually release. Trying to install a decal that has not completely released will result in a broken/split/cracked decal. In my experience, over soaking is bad and will cause the clear to cloud up so don't over soak, just let it sit on the countertop until it's fully released.

solveset should always be part of the program,it will take out the air bubbles and increase adhesion,reduces alot of errors,saves you from have to mess with it causing damage,its like using grease and wax remover when painting

Back