TOC aster motor pacer stayer steher gangmaker derny project

This ad disappears when logged in

thehugheseum

I live for the CABE
Apr 5, 2011
Wilsonville, United States
Here is a really neat project im getting ready to embark on. Im planning on building a motor pacer based on pictures and using this gorgeous ASTER 3 1/4 hp motor.

IMG_1190.jpg
IMG_1191.jpg
IMG_1192.jpg
IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1194.jpg
IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg

This is the motor orient used to build the earliest of american mass produced made motorcycles.............they were also used as powerplants for pacing bikes

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

Last edited:

thehugheseum

I live for the CABE
Apr 5, 2011
more pictures.........so much uniqueness on this motor,horizontal cases......in bronze......rippled fins....in copper......every bit of hardware is unique to this thing and i am incredibly honored to have been given the opportunity to be the custodian of such a rare and important motor.

IMG_1200.jpg
IMG_1201.jpg
IMG_1202.jpg
IMG_1203.jpg
IMG_1204.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg
IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

Last edited:

thehugheseum

I live for the CABE
Apr 5, 2011
I wanted to give a huge internerd hug to stig........you are a absolute gentleman......

Please post any pics of turn of the century pacers,this was a crazy beast and they rarely look like each other,i will be following either a bike or using several details from several to make this pacer

aster pacer.jpg
this is an aster motored rig

hedstrom-tandem-pacer.jpg
this was de dion power

Couret&Boudin-tandem a.jpg

orient-tandem-pacer.jpg
i think this is de dion power

stayer and pacer.JPG
this is a later pacer,notice now they are one man and a roller mechanism is employed in case of "touchdown"..............there were alot of bad accidents before the roller bar came into use

orient-tandem-1.jpg
this looks de dion to me

de dion tandem.jpg
this looks like the plan for the henshaw/hendee,i dont see a coil or batteries

Last edited:

thehugheseum

I live for the CABE
Apr 5, 2011
hey giovanni.......you can call me mark but stan on thursdays........thanks

Last edited:

thehugheseum

I live for the CABE
Apr 5, 2011
Sometimes when you obtain something incredibly rare and focus incredibly hard............seemingly miracles can and often do happen.........yes im bragging.........i owned this motor 24 hrs and had been told the carburator is incredibly hard to find...........like it could take yrs to find.........less than 48 hrs later i had found the correct carb thru a bit of chance following a different lead...........and was given the opportunity to own it........and i took the offer

please feel free to post any information,leads,critique..........i have thick skin and i want to build this bike right

bud poe

I live for the CABE
Aug 18, 2009
Portland, Or.
Sometimes when you obtain something incredibly rare and focus incredibly hard............seemingly miracles can and often do happen.........yes im bragging.........i owned this motor 24 hrs and had been told the carburator is incredibly hard to find...........like it could take yrs to find.........less than 48 hrs later i had found the correct carb thru a bit of chance following a different lead...........and was given the opportunity to own it........and i took the offer

please feel free to post any information,leads,critique..........i have thick skin and i want to build this bike right
This is an ambitious build but if anyone can pull it off it's Adam...

What an incredible moment in history, anyone interested in "motor pacing" should check out the book "life in the slipstream: The story of Bobby Walthour Sr.". Can't recall the author right now but it's on Amazon. An amazing account of an often overlooked period of cycle racing lore. Talk about dare-devils....

Can't wait to see the pacer come together!

tailhole

I live for the CABE
Dec 26, 2010
Lakewood, CO
Nice!

Love the details of all things old. Those wavy brass fins are super cool. Keep posting the progress! Love it!

thehugheseum

I live for the CABE
Apr 5, 2011
thanks for all the input guys! im juggling about a million projects right now and that seems to be my pattern of madness/fruition.......heres a bit of info i was told recently on my information quest.........the term "derny" is as im told actually meant for a training pacer

Last edited:

thehugheseum

I live for the CABE
Apr 5, 2011
does anyone have a good way to blow up this picture enough to clearly count the spokes on this beast? everytime i do i come up with 44 spokes.......unheard of but these were very unorthodox beasts......as always any help greatly appreciated

aster pacer.jpg

thehugheseum

I live for the CABE
Apr 5, 2011
on the subject of unorthodox..........pisspoor pics of the 1899 herring pacer and mobike/motocycle

IMG_1241.jpg
IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

and another from 1899 charles jarrott......its unclear whether he built this or had it built

IMG_1245.jpg

heres the common de dion motor...........if you find one you best contact me

IMG_1244.jpg

Last edited:

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture