When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC Wood Rim Makers Info

-
Huennenekens Cycle co

This rim Joint is interesting

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 18.03.19.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 18.03.19.jpg

I cannot find my patent for lobdell clad but seemed to me in the 1920s...

anyone have other info? WOuld like to figure out first year for clad.

Aside, Found this but no date

lobdellwheelchart.jpg

lobdellwheelchart.jpg

This is from the Bicycling world & Motorcycle review in 1911 in relation to Bikes question above.... Still do not know that answer to his question - but we are getting closer.

1911 ad.jpg

SUPERIORITY OF WOOD RIMS OVER STEEL

Steel rims have no life, spring or resiliency and, when the tire receives a blow in use, ti must stand the entire shock,
which shortens its life very materially.

The wood rim, if air-dried properly, retains its life and resiliency and, when the tire receives a shock, it springs
back, easing the blow, which lengthens the life of the tire. Actual tests made under the following conditions proved our
claim conclusively: Two wheels were employed, one built-up with a wood rim and the other with steel, both fitted with
tires. These wheels were caused to run against a wooden pulley 2-feet wide, having three-quarter-inch round moldings
placed squarely across and at angles on the face of the pulley.

Both pulleys and wheels were run at a high rate of speed with the tire pressure against pulley at about the same
pressure a rider's weight would be on the road. The tire mounted on the wood rim lasted one-third longer than on the
steel.

This is conclusive evidence of the wood rims' merit over steel, in addition to which the rider enjoys ease and
comfort that he cannot secure on any other type of rim.

A bicycle fitted with wood rims last longer, rides easier, has a better appearance and is far superior in every
way.

The above applies to the solid heavy steel rim, which is brazed together. There is, however, great merit in a very light steel lining
(not brazed), mounted on a wood rim. This produces a rim with a light-steel lining, having the same resiliency as the
all-wood. This yupe of rim also has a perfect watershed, is very stiff and remains true under the severest usage.

This wood steel-lined rim has met with a large sale, and is becoming more popular each year. It is made for cement,
Dunlop and clincher tires.

This steel-lined clincher rim made the single-clinch tire possible, and you have Mr. E.J. Lobdell to thank, for he
alone is responsible for this rim, which enables you to sell a bicycle fitted with clincher tires at a reasonable
price.

1911 ad.jpg

Last edited:
K & C Manufacturing Company - Henniker NH

I am still in the process of getting more info on this company as they were fairly prolific in bicycle wood rim manufacturing. Now that I have a picture I thought I would share it with you. This is a Photo of the company in 1910 from a post card.

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 9.10.59 p.m..png

Henniker 1910.jpg

1908 management

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 9.05.58 a.m..png

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 22.42.40.png

An Ad from Bicycling World 1906

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 9.24.59 p.m..png

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 9.25.49 p.m..jpg

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 9.26.03 p.m..png

1911 Ads

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 16.21.43.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 16.29.57.jpg

They had a fire in 1917 that injured a fireman severely.

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 9.03.21 p.m..png

Last edited:
This is how they used to pack the wood rims for shipping in the day. They would take seconds that did not meed quality and use them as part of the crate...they would insert the good rims and top it with another second then they would apply wood straps and secure to the seconds. Easy no cost crate.

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

Back