When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was Hiawatha a brand name of Western Flyer bikes.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HEMI426

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Was Hiawatha a brand of Western Flyer bikes, I have a tank on a Western Flyer that fits perfectly on a Hiawatha. I don't know the year. Same chain guard too. The WF chain guard is embossed (Western Flyer). Or is this just a coincidence? Thanks for your help.

20211009_172519.jpg

20211009_172216.jpg

20211009_172456.jpg

20220517_163222.jpg

20220517_135446.jpg

I believe that Hiawatha was sold by Gambles department stores. I also think that Western Flyer was another department store brand (Western Auto). I believe that bikes under those brand names were built by several companies and badged as department store brands. Both of the bikes that you have pictured appear to be Cleveland Welding built.

Like @COB said both are brands attached, in this case, to a CWC built bike. As a WF this model was called the Super. I'm not sure what Gambles called this model but it had the Hiawatha name on the guard. V/r Shawn

So Cleveland Welding would make the same bike in general and sell them to different department stores to be badged to their brand. Is that why the chain guard is identical except for the embossed Western Flyer and the litho (silk screen) Hiawatha. So each year Cleveland Welding would sell the same frame and head set, then they would be adorned (accessorized) by each store. So the tank for that year CWC bike would fit many brands. To learn what you guys know would take a lifetime. Thanks

Not sure if the stores or warehouses of the retailers would be the place of adornment, when the manufacturers were capable of delivering complete bicycles, with the customers’ desired options.

The manufacturer's customer was the one who ordered the bicycles from the manufacturer; it could be either a retailer or a wholesaler, but not likely a kid or parent.

Last edited:
Pretty sure these were ordered by the retailer and delivered ready to sell. The only instance I see where this really varies is with the Snyder/CWC bikes sold through Wards. The reason I say this on the Wards is you find Snyder built bikes with CWC spring forks. Did CWC supply Snyder or were these assembled somewhere else? V/r Shawn

When you say customers desired options, do you mean the retailer or the public could order like a blue bike with a fender lite, ww tires, horn, tank etc. And wait for it to be delivered to the store. Like you would a car. Did they have floor models you could buy and walk out with the same day? The CWC Co. made the frame and fork and somewhere else put the bling to the bikes, then they went to the different stores for sale. The 2 frames I have the same tank fits both and each came from different stores. Probably made it easier for CWC to have interchangeable parts for different store orders.

Last edited:
I took the tank off the Western Flyer garden bike just to see what it would like on the Hiawatha. I wish it was in better shape.

20220517_135446.jpg

20220517_163800.jpg

20220518_142430.jpg

20220518_144424.jpg

20211011_124848.jpg

Both bikes/tanks made by CWC. Speaking generally you ordered a particular model although most manufacturers allowed some ala carte ordering. Bikes could also be accessorized by the servicing dealer. V/r Shawn

Pretty sure these were ordered by the retailer and delivered ready to sell. The only instance I see where this really varies is with the Snyder/CWC bikes sold through Wards. The reason I say this on the Wards is you find Snyder built bikes with CWC spring forks. Did CWC supply Snyder or were these assembled somewhere else? V/r Shawn
I remember Phil Marshall talking about this in the past. I believe it was because Snyder was late to the game designing a spring fork. So Ward's probably had cwc send some over to Snyder, who painted them their color, and put them on the bikes. Which makes the most sense for a dept. store bike, whereas a Schwinn dealer had mechanics on staff, they could swap out a fork in minutes if you wanted one! Which explains some of the 'that bike didn't come with X' bikes that seem og, but are different from the typical model.

Back