When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer Galaxy Flyer ID and Parts Help! :)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sarahO

On Training Wheels
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...I did a quick search of this forum and didn't find what I was looking for. I work at a LBS in a small town in Alaska and today a customer asked if I wanted a cool old cruiser bike...I've been known to restore a cruiser or two, but am by no means an expert or collector. He said it was from 1940 but it looks more like a 60s era bike to me. I was pretty ecstatic when he brought it in (there's not a lot of cool old junk up here, it took too much work to bring things up, and settlement happened late enough that there's just not a lot of vintage stuff up here). Our shop hosts weekly cruiser rides and I super duper love adding to our loaner fleet!
So I overhauled the hubs and bottom bracket bearings and got everything moving, but the chainring (I guess they are called sprockets on classic bikes?!) is bent. I flattened it out a bit, but it's still pretty wobbly and needs more repair or to be replaced. I assumed that I would be able to find a replacement online. Unfortunately the sprocket pattern does not seem to be common, as I have only found one or 2 bikes with the same sprocket pattern, and I wasn't able to find any replacement sprockets of the same pattern. Now that I've gotten on the forum and read around a bit, I realize I should have noted the serial number (is it on the bottom bracket?). Can someone/anyone :) help me out with info about this sprocket and about the general age of the bike? From what I've gathered on here, WF were kind cheap and cheesy bikes made as promos, and not really worth any monetary value. I'm not trying to collect or make a profit off a junker, I just want to get the bike going and keep it as original as possible! Thanks in advance!

20230603_164447.jpg

20230603_195031.jpg

20230603_195034.jpg

20230603_195041.jpg

20230603_195047.jpg

20230603_195054.jpg

so it occurred to me to google vintage sprocket without the brand name in there and I got a match on a 44t Huffy...does this mean the sprocket was aftermarket, or just that Huffy made the bike for WF?

Wow thanks! It seems like it's more than 44 (I was counting from the pictures I took)... But stupidly I didn't check before I came home so I'll have to look next time I'm back. It kinda looks more like 48t... But the one I found was 44t. That would probably be fine anyway, as long as it fits on the cranks. I saw the 44t one on eBay for 12 bucks ... And thanks so much for the date info! Do you know where the serial number is printed on this bike? I'm guessing under the bottom bracket...

Looks like a 48-50 tooth. What's going on with the hole in the crank arm? Is the drive pin messed up and someone drilled a hole for a bolt or something? Is the crank maybe bent also? A Cabe member has a crank, chainring and bearing/cup set for sale on eBay. Check the left rear drop out or underneath the crank for a serial number.

Long shot. Old listing.

Last edited:
Looks like a 48-50 tooth. What's going on with the hole in the crank arm? Is the drive pin messed up and someone drilled a hole for a bolt or something? Is the crank maybe bent also? A Cabe member has a crank, chainring and bearing/cup set for sale on eBay. Check the left rear drop out or underneath the crank for a serial number.

Long shot. Old listing.
Yah the drive pin looks like it sheared off and I think the cranks are bent too. I think I'm going to buy the whole new setup that you shared from ebay. Thanks!

Huffy made bike for sure. They used an "H" in the beginning of the serial number, with the number next as the last digit of the year. I'm not sure if that continued into the 70's. 2H would be 1972 on your bike.
The sprocket can be laid flat on something and hammered flat enough to use.
I'd shine it up, new tires, fix the crank and done. Loaner cruiser.

Back