When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Good To Use to Preserve an Oil Cloth Saddle?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I recently purchased a 1935 Hawthorne Motobike in very good condition. I'm going to do my usual detailing, but I'm out of my element on preserving the saddle.

What do you guys use to keep it from drying out further? I don't want to make any assumptions, so I'll leave it to the experts.

IMG_5756.jpeg

IMG_5758.jpeg

IMG_5770.jpeg

IMG_5746.jpeg

Barbour Thornproof

It’s a wax based treatment for oilcloth garments

If you search google there are alternative brands and potions specifically for fabric / canvas

I actually had an oilcloth jacket that got old I used working outside on projects the more beat up it got the more I loved it …

Spilled a bunch of motor oil on it under the car one time and it did a did an awesome job darkening and snow proofing the dried out canvas ( unintentional discovery )

You may not want to change the patina , but
If you want to darken the surface , cordavan or black shoe dye ( and a steady hand chisel sponge applicator at the edges you may have to use qtips to get a sharp line ) prior to sealing with an oilcloth treatment

I wonder if one of Phil Swift's spray-on products might work?

Later this week I'm going to paint this saddle with black satin or matte finish enamel paint. I don't remember which at present. I got this tip from a banned member long ago, and was happy with the results. Advice good, member bad.
IMG_7120.jpg

Last edited:
Later this week I'm going to paint this saddle with Rustoleum Black Satin Finish Enamel Paint. I don't care what anyone says, I need to preserve it. I got this tip from a banned member long ago, and was happy with the results as they suited my style. Advice good, member bad. I'll post results once dry.
View attachment 1915203
Use vinyl spray.It last really well on fabrics that flex. You can get it at Ace in a spray.Have used it many times.

Back